Big Gull Lake question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
goshawk
Participant
Participant

Big Gull Lake question

Post by goshawk »

I've heard a bit about this lake but have never ventured up there as yet. Next weekend I have some time on my hands and decided to head up there for the first time for some LM and SM fishing. I'll be launching at the ramp on the SE end of the lake. I have heard that there are lots of shoals in the lake (even though the Navionics says it's a really deep lake). Are there any areas of the lake where the shoals are more numerous than other shallow areas? Also, are there any weedy areas or areas of pads that I need to check out? I have Navionics on my console unit, but nowhere near all of the shoals are clearly marked (I've just missed a few roaming around Nippissing!). Thanks in advance.
Lionel
Retired USAF Sergeant
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Big Gull Lake question

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Most of the dangerous submerged rocks are marked with jugs by the local Cottage Association. That being said, be vigilant scanning the water and your sonar. The Navionics map is reasonably accurate, but by no means complete. Although somewhat tannic stained, the water is pretty clear, so most of the reefs are visible.

The far west basin is relatively shallow and weedy (soft bottom) and churns out a good number of LM. Get into the thick stuff with Texas-rigged plastics. The north shore and islands of the main basin are SM territory. This time of year drop-shotting deep weedlines and the boulder fields is probably the best place to start.

It can be a tough lake to figure out...I've fished there since the 70's (when it was a Walleye factory) and it still throws me curves. A lot of water to cover. Interestingly, there used to be a resident population of Muskies (actually more Tigers than pure strain) in the western basin...but think I it's been a long time since somebody has hooked into one.
The tug is the drug..
goshawk
Participant
Participant

Post by goshawk »

Thank you so much CL for this valuable info. I was hoping that the locals had marked a lot of the more hidden lower unit killers. And it's good to know there are some healthy weed fields to probe for some LM. I'll post a report on how the adventure turned out.
Lionel
Retired USAF Sergeant
SelmaAdam
Participant
Participant

Post by SelmaAdam »

Amazing response.It's highly advised to be vigilant scanning the water and your sonar as said by Corvus