Quebec Reds Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Quebec Reds Question

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Morning all, yesterday I got an invite to a friends newly bought property on the PQ side. I was informed by mouth and pictures this very small mind you well stocked lake has a healthy population of PQ Reds. I've never chased them, but have fished brookies from creeks to Nipigon. I plan to fish them the same one weekend in August after I secure my PQ tag, and before they close in Sept, the 1st I believe? Pictures of 3 plus were shown and he has only lived there for a short while. All access to this lake is private as well. Should I treat them the same as lake specks? I've caught numerous big specks on Nipigon, as well as lakes in Calabogie (Not as big as Nipigon LOL) and will likely fish them the same. Am I right?

F.F
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Quebec Reds Question

Post by smitty55 »

99% of what people call Quebec Reds are actually just Speckled Trout, it's a common local term used throughout QC. The true and rare Quebec Red is a landlocked subspecies of Arctic Char, also called Sunapee trout.
So yea, fish them just like Specks, have fun.
Smitty

Straight shooter
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Thx Smitty!!!!

F.F
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

I caught one more than 25 years ago on a small back lake north of Nominique. My buddy had a chalet up there at the time, and we hiked in with float tubes. Our group of 3 ended up with only 2 fish.. pretty fish and typical bulldog fight like all Char species...although not sure it was worth the gruelling trek...blackflies were particularly brutal up there. We used small Mepps spinners.

Here's a little more info on Reds...

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/chasing-quebec-red-trout/
The tug is the drug..