26 Hours... I Need Sleep. lol

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

26 Hours... I Need Sleep. lol

Post by JimW »

Some times crazy ideas pay off. With salmon fishing being a little hit and miss lately this week's plan was a full day of fishing.... fish the morning 5 am until 12 noon, then spend a little time on land then go back out for the evening bite!!!

Left my place at 12:30 am on Wednesday.... pick up my partner on the drive and we head for the GTA... boat in the water around 5 am.... make a little run to our fish spot get our 4 rod set up (2 downrigger rods and 2 wire dipseys) going and we are in business!!!

For the next couple hours we catch some fish.... have some fish hit our baits... and lose some fish. No huge fish biggest around 15 pounds... but fun either way. Most fish caught on Twinkie rigs behind Hotfish lures flashers, but also got a few hits on spin doctor and fly combos and spoons.

The morning bite died off as the sun rose higher in the sky and the temperatures climbed. So after some tips from a very knowledgeable fishing friend we decide to bring in our lines are run out deep to "The Blue Zone"!!! We set up our 4 rods and start trolling the Blue Zone.... nothing not even a hit for over an hour...

Then the one downrigger rod goes off... I grab it.... fish on!!! Only a small one... but a fish is a fish... as I am reeling in the fish.... the second downrigger rod goes off... my fishing partner grabs the rod, we are running slider lines so he has to reel fast to pick up the slack line, the Okuma high speed Convector reels work awesome but that fish does not stay hooked. As my buddy is reeling, I land my smaller salmon unhook it and as I am releasing it, the dipsey diver rod on my side gets hit.... I grab it.... BIG fish on!!! After about 4 or 5 jumps we get the nice a big rainbow trout near the boat. My partner grabs the net, but just before I can reel the fish in the last 10 feet to reach it with the net.... the other dipsey diver rod gets HAMMERED!!! So my buddy drops the net and grabs the rod. So now I grab the net and try to net my big rainbow... but as it does one last jump just behind the boat it throws the hook and is gone. :cry:

My buddy is still fighting a big fish, but in the craziness we stuck the downrigger rods back in their rod holders sticking straight up which meant Matt could not fight his fish properly and before I could move the rods out of the way.... the fish gets off. Live and learn. Now we have no lures left in the water after all 4 rods taking hits, we reset the rods and get one more hit a while later but then nothing else.

About 1:00 pm we reel in our gear and head back to the boat launch and put the boat back on the trailer and get out of Toronto. No monster fish landed but a decent morning on the water.

After getting through Toronto traffic we stop for an early dinner and make our plans for the evening bite. After a quick dinner we drive to our next spot East of Toronto and launch the boat.... a quick 6 mile run to our fishing spot and we get set up and we are back fishing around 5:45 pm.

Shortly after setting up we get a big hit but the fish does not stick and is gone. That sparked the interest of the only other boat within 2 miles of us as they then turn and cut in front of us about 150 feet away from us... troll past us.... then they do a 180 and cut in front of us again going the other direction.... at least they did not like what they saw, as they then trolled away from us.

Shortly after the other boat left.... the dipsey fires..... FISH ON..... BIG FISH ON.... after a nice battle and a great net job we boat a nice 23 pound King.... a couple quick photos and back in the lake she went.... we reset and not long after.... FISH ON!!!! Over the next couple hours we have 3 double headers.... landed 4 of the 6 fish.... a long with a bunch of other single fish caught.... missed... lost!!!! It was a couple crazy hours!!!!! Two people fishing 2 fish at the same time, while steering the boat and trying to net the fish at the same time.... get a bit crazy.... but is just awesome!!!

We pull our gear around 9 pm and head back to the boat launch... load and pack up the boat and make the 3 plus hour drive home..... back home at 2:30 am on Thursday.

26 hours on the road and water....800 km on the road.... lots of fish caught.... and lots of fish missed... but all in all an awesome day on the water!!

Here are a few photos from the day.. we did not take as many as usual in all the craziness when the fish were on.

We kept a couple smaller fish for the smoker and released the rest.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 26 Hours... I Need Sleep. lol

Post by Haulin Bass »

Thriller of a story. Thx for posting!!
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 26 Hours... I Need Sleep. lol

Post by JimW »

Haulin Bass wrote:Thriller of a story. Thx for posting!!
No problem thanks.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing