new young angler in the making

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishingfan
Participant
Participant

new young angler in the making

Post by fishingfan »

Hey all,

Thought I'd post this and tell this little story of a young man just wanting to catch a fish.
He is 10 years old and had been fishing a few times last year at Dows lake with his mom, he caught a sunfish and a small mouth on the only lure he has ever used, a yellow curly tailed swim bait on an aberdeen hook, the soft body was hooked right through the tail so it looked a little funny, but it was his "lucky lure".
He had never been on a boat before and was a dream of his to catch a fish from a boat. He had the cutest little tackle box with gardening gloves, a few spare hooks, a pair of scissors (in case the fish was hooked bad he said), a pair of 'pliers' - actually the smallest diagonal cutting pliers I've ever seen and some split shot that he didn't know was for, but seem them in a video so wanted some. He had only a tiny jerkbait that he had never tried as his 'lucky lure' was tied to his line, and he didn't know how to change it.

Anyway, long story short, brought him on the Ottawa, launched at Red Pine Bay, and this is him with his first 'boat fish' of the day, he got 3 others to the boat and lost about 4 more while reeling them in. After he saw me catch a few off of a shallow point (3-4' of water with reeds), using a wacky rigged 5" Senko - green pumpkin and watermelon (circle hook and o-ring), he quickly asked me to set him up with what I was using. Second cast and boom, fish on! It did a few aerial jumps and spit the hook (all barbs depressed, I explained that you may loose more fish until you get more experience, but so much better for the fish for catch and release). So this fish was his third strike, and I tell you, the excitement in his voice when it was in the net was amazing. After he gave it a kiss and a good release (all with thank you splash to the face), he just sat down in the seat and said that he has never felt his heart pound this hard before! I think that I have a new fishing buddy for years to come.

He went home that day tired, excited, engaged, and wanting to know when we can go out again. Also, with a beginner fishing net, new rod glove, variety of soft bodies (including Senkos - his new fav), a variety of colors for feather jigs, a package of barrel swivels with safety snap (and the knowledge of how to attach to his line), new needle nose pliers with leather holder, and an new book on fishing tips and tricks.

Just look at that smile!
The attachment first boat fish.PNG is no longer available
Attachments
first boat fish.PNG
first boat fish.PNG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1329 times
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Re: new young angler in the making

Post by Happy Hooker »

Thank you for doing such a great thing for this child,
you are helping ensure our youth can enjoy the fun of fishing.

Hooker
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Great post fishingfan! Your contribution to this boys exuberance for fishing is immeasurable.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Awesome fishingfan…. That’s what it’s all about… great for getting this young one on the water and helping to get him hooked as a lifelong angler. Thanks for the report. I sent you a pm.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Simply FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! My hat goes of to you, and we need more people like you to help get the youth hooked on a lifelong passion!!!! Congrats on his great catch!!!!

F.F