Great week of fishing on vacation

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MattMcP
Participant
Participant

Great week of fishing on vacation

Post by MattMcP »

Finally got a week of vacation dedicated to fishing my arse off and boy it was just what the doctor ordered.
Recently bought a Lund 14wc off a family member and this was its maiden voyage.

Started off the week trolling around to get to know this small, spring fed lake. After autocharting a large portion of it, we started targeting spots that we thought would hold fish. The targets were Walleye, Big pike and bass.
Over the next 7 days, we would have some amazing fish hit the deck. We trolled a variety of methods, rip jigged, drop shotted, shore fished, and tried about every method that I could muster up. All the methods seem to pay off at different times. It was just a matter of finding them and figuring out what they wanted on a day to day basis.

Had THEE Jim Wilson out one day and we managed to catch every target species plus 3 or 4 more.
We ended up catching a lot of walleye including some hogs, lots of big bass, no big pike(biggest was maybe 6-7lbs) and tons of jumbo panfish.

Surprised we didn't find any big pike, we trolled big deep diving baits, ran big spoons on leadcore, drift trolled herring but no big gators took the bait. Well get em next year. Being a small spring fed lake, I'm guessing there's not a ton of giants but definitely a few monsters lurking in there with that constant inflow of cold water.

All in all I learned a lot about this little lake and cannot wait to come back again next year. Hopefully we can reproduce our success and improve upon it.
Tight lines everyone!
Attachments
Nice walleye
Nice walleye
20210818_191103.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 1872 times
Smally
Smally
20210815_095509.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1871 times
20210815_103012.jpg
20210815_103012.jpg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 1871 times
Osonux
Participant
Participant

Re: Great week of fishing on vacation

Post by Osonux »

Nice catches! Fishing small uncharted lakes is always a lot of fun I find, it forces you to figure things out from scratch!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Great week of fishing on vacation

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

What a STELLAR report!!!!!!!! Great marble eye's and if you were averaging small jaws like that, geez I'd never fish another lake! Great outing bro, and glad the doctor got it right :D

T.L F.F