5 Day Weekend of Fishing!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

5 Day Weekend of Fishing!!!

Post by JimW »

Spent some time last week on the water for some late summer multi-species action.

Day 1:
Joined my buddy Matt McP for a little multi-species action this morning.... it was a mixed bag of fish.... pike, smallmouth bass, walleye, rock bass, bluegills and pumpkinseeds... and a mixed bag of weather.... no wind, a bit of wind from one direction, then wind from another direction... rain, sun, cloud, rain, sun. We didn't hammer the fish, well one spot a pike hit my lure every time I put it in the water.... we eventually left that spot, but a good morning on the water.

The bass and panfish loved my Big Bite Baits Smallie Smasher on the drop shot with Eco Pro Tungsten Full Contact drop shot weights. The pike and walleye hammered my little Walleye Nation Creations Candy Crush Boogie Shad.

Day 2:
Day 2 of my weekend fishing... was back visiting Lady O today with my buddy Kyler, got to the boat launch nice an early, launched and headed out onto the lake in the cover of darkness, set up our 4 rod trolling spread... 2 crankbaits, a twinkie rig and flasher fly combo... marked a few fish in shallow and a couple fish jumping but not much action. The downriggers took a couple light hits and then just as the sun comes up we land a decent sized chinook salmon on a 10" Spin Doctor with a Kate's Kustoms twinkie rig paired up with a Deep Rig Tackle King Strip.

We work the shallow water marking a few fish but not much happening.... so plan B, late in the morning we pull our lines and run deep to 240 feet of water. Running 2 dipsey divers with a twinkie rig and a flasher fly combo and 2 downrigger rods with spoons and slider lines with spoons.

Based on the fishing charts today's prime fishing time was 10:45 am to 12:45 pm.... and the fish knew it, we found some bait schools out deep and with it came a nice mixed bag of rainbow trout, coho and chinook salmon. Plan B was a success and we ended the morning on a high note and had some decent fish visit the Tracker!!

Day 3 and Day 4:
Drove down to Lake Erie to spend some time chasing walleye and rainbow trout last Saturday and Sunday. It took a little bit to find where the fish were hiding but in the end we were rewarded with some nice Lake Erie walleye and trout. As usually spoons took the majority of our fish running downriggers, dipsey divers and leadcore lines.

Day 5:
Back down to Lake Ontario with a couple friends to try and get them their first salmon... no huge salmon that day, but we limited out on rainbow trout and did find a few nice chinook salmon. I love putting new anglers on their first Great Lakes salmon!!

We lost a couple fish that we should have caught but we had an issue with my fishing net part way through the morning. My net handle extends if you push a button and pull the end of the handle, but it has a second button if you push it the net hoop comes off. I explained this to my two rookie salmon fishing partners, but even after explaining it, I guess that was not enough, I wanted to demonstrate what NOT to do, and in the process of going to net a big trout, I pushed the wrong button and the net hoop popped off.... falling into the lake and sinking to the bottom... 260 feet below. Now I just have a $250 aluminum pole. lol

Thanks for looking!!

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Malyon18
Participant
Participant

Re: 5 Day Weekend of Fishing!!!

Post by Malyon18 »

Awesome report, thanks for sharing!
legendfish
Participant
Participant

Post by legendfish »

Hi again Jim, I should have seen this post before asking questions. You seem to know Lake Erie with the success you posted. Very Nice fish!
As you may have surmised I’m newbie at the deep water fish..
Im still not sure about where on Erie in early October, any suggestions are gratefully received!
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

legendfish wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:04 pm Hi again Jim, I should have seen this post before asking questions. You seem to know Lake Erie with the success you posted. Very Nice fish!
As you may have surmised I’m newbie at the deep water fish..
Im still not sure about where on Erie in early October, any suggestions are gratefully received!
legendfish,

What area of Lake Erie are you planning on fishing? I have never fished Lake Erie after mid-September, but I can see what I can find out for early October.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
legendfish
Participant
Participant

Post by legendfish »

Jim,
I’m thinking between Long Point and Turkey Point unless there are better locations?