speckled ideas

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
loophole
Participant
Participant

speckled ideas

Post by loophole »

Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation for a water body for fishing speckled trout. The Fish ON-Line search tool sends me to several creeks in the Kemptville management zone. Not one of them appears to be worth fishing. Access points are few and far between. Another website tells me that the lands are all private, not Crown land. Makes me wonder what the point is of stocking water bodies that the public can't get to. The last time I caught a trout was at Bottle Lake several years ago, but they stopped stocking that lake. I've been to Green Lake several times and left empty handed. Help!
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: speckled ideas

Post by Bear »

Bottle is cleaned up(invasives) and now (for a couple years) being stocked with rainbows. just an fyi
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

I've done alright ice fishing Peterwhite Lake. It's a bit of a hike to access though, I've parked on the side of the 511 and hiked up the hydro line. Not too sure how the bite is other times of the year, I don't think there's much room along the shoreline for casting. I've also tried Kates Lake from shore a few years ago, but would probably have better luck there from a boat/canoe.

Most of the lakes get hit pretty hard over the winter months. I've done okay on Green Lake in the spring and winter, but it's so accessible I think it gets fished out pretty quick.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

@fisherman89 How's the hike along the powerline to peterwhite in terms of flatness? Got out to green lake for the first time this winter and the hike was a tough one, path had lots of rocks and was very hilly. I'd love to know if it's a bit better than green lake.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

loophole wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:35 pm Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation for a water body for fishing speckled trout. The Fish ON-Line search tool sends me to several creeks in the Kemptville management zone. Not one of them appears to be worth fishing. Access points are few and far between. Another website tells me that the lands are all private, not Crown land. Makes me wonder what the point is of stocking water bodies that the public can't get to. The last time I caught a trout was at Bottle Lake several years ago, but they stopped stocking that lake. I've been to Green Lake several times and left empty handed. Help!
Lakes with no public access are NOT stocked - so there is always public access. Not sure if you know that you can turn on different layers on the map, one of the layers is to show boat launches, which are typically the access points. I have found a number of lakes that appear to be all private, but when you turn on that layer you discover that there is a sliver of land or road easement that touches the water.

For some areas, such as the Frontenacs (south, central and north) there is an online tool that shows property parcels and all road easements so again, makes it easy to find those small access points (and I have found that most of the time when you arrive you discover that there is a well worn path through the trees on that spot!!!).
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

John Zach wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:25 am @fisherman89 How's the hike along the powerline to peterwhite in terms of flatness? Got out to green lake for the first time this winter and the hike was a tough one, path had lots of rocks and was very hilly. I'd love to know if it's a bit better than green lake.
Hey John, we're talking about the same Green Lake (off of French Line)? The walk in is only about 200m from the road, and if you have 4WD you can drive almost right to the lake. The walk into Peterwhite from HWY 511 is tougher, all uphill to get into the lake and probably around 800m or so.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

Goin to Peterwhite Lake today, hopefully the hike will be doable. Thanks for the info.
I was talking about the green lake off french line road, maybe I'm missing a safe way to get to the lake, but no, I do not have 4wd unfortunately, and the quad bike trail is pretty rough to walk.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

John Zach wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:03 am Goin to Peterwhite Lake today, hopefully the hike will be doable. Thanks for the info.
I was talking about the green lake off french line road, maybe I'm missing a safe way to get to the lake, but no, I do not have 4wd unfortunately, and the quad bike trail is pretty rough to walk.
Now that brings back many memories. Spent many a New Years day on Peterwhite. Back then we could drive in the cottage road. My suggestion would be to be set up before light on a point or the small island and don't be shy to fish real shallow, that's when we always had our most concentrated action.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

John Zach wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:03 am Goin to Peterwhite Lake today, hopefully the hike will be doable. Thanks for the info.
Goodluck John!
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

I don't know if you realize it, but when you take the hydro trail into Peterwhite, you are trespassing on private property. I contacted Hydro years ago and that is what I was told. I wrote to the property owner asking for permission, but never received a reply.
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

I challenged the Ministry about access to Peterwhite some time back. They sent me a map showing the only legal access. It's via Concession Road 6 off Tatlock Road. Go as far as you can in your 4WD truck and park. The rest of the way you have to use a 4 wheeler. Follow the Hydro line down to the lake. That section of the hydro corridor is Crown Land. I think it's about 6 or 7 kms. I don't own a truck or a 4 wheeler, so I'm pretty much screwed. Technically there is public access to Peterwhite. But I put a hell of a big asterisk on the word "public".
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Last time I was at Peterwhite (2020) there was a well used trail from skidoo and foot traffic going up the hydro line and into the lake. I guess accessing from the 511 side of the hydro line is at your own risk. I haven't ran into any issues though.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

I recall driving in from the 511 side a few years back and it was not too bad (in my 4x4 SUV).
Seems like we could have walked it to the 511 access. 500 m or so to the middle of the lake but the swamp section where it touches the power lines is another few hundred m. If going back, I'd to that side.
The other side from Tatlock/concession 6 defeated my 4x4 fairly quickly once on the power line right of way so your basically going as far as your bravery takes you and then abandon your truck and walk.
I had a couple guys stop in their ATVs to warn me that if I wanted to keep my truck, turn around before permanently parking it on some bad rocks. We walked and it was far, and they were right about some of the terrain.
Fishing was so so each time, so we haven't been back . We do our speckled fishing in and around Algonquin pk these days even though the portages hurt way more than they used to .