Fishing for musky, ended up with pike...somethings never change

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MattMcP
Participant
Participant

Fishing for musky, ended up with pike...somethings never change

Post by MattMcP »

Hey everyone, hope the fishing has been hot!

Planned to go out last Saturday but due to high winds we decided Sunday would be our day.

After a rainy morning, we toughed it out inside the house lol
Around 2 o'clock we decided to hit Lake O for Musky. We figured a quick fish till sunset was still worth our while

We trolled around some promising structure using a variety of baits. This time of year I like big cranks/jerks and running structure adjacent to deep ledges. Suspended baits, deep baits, Lots of bottom contact, variety of size and S turns. Inside turns are money

We fished 10-20 foot of water going anywhere from 2.5-4mph

After a few hours without any action, I noticed a lure had picked up some weeds. I cleared the lure and tossed it back out. Soon as it got to depth, it got a big lazy strike. I looked at the rod and it's not thrashy. I look back and about 40 foot behind the boat I see a big mouth open.
I hand the rod to my buddy as he's never caught a Musky. We get it close and whomp whomp it's a pike lol

Not what we came for but an absolute tank of a pike. She hit a 12" crank lol She released well and we continued on for another hour or so.

No luck. We headed back and I cooked up canned moose over pasta 😜 one of my favorite meals on this planet
Another great day on the water.
Cheers gang.
Attachments
received_4229183160540678.jpeg
received_4229183160540678.jpeg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 828 times
received_983681905512212.jpeg
received_983681905512212.jpeg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 828 times