New to Lac Des Chats

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DHawk
Participant
Participant

New to Lac Des Chats

Post by DHawk »

Hi Everyone,

I've referred to this forum many times over the years and I've learned a lot so thank you.

My parent's are just about to close a deal to buy property on Lac des Chats, a few km downstream from the mouth of the Bonnechere River. I'm excited to spend some time up there fishing. I'm not picky on species. I have access to a boat, kayak and a couple of mediocre legs for the winter season (I'll need to take extra caution until I'm familiar with the ice conditions). My only limits seem to be time, weather and myself (and the MNR's regulations, of course). Does anyone have any tips or insights on fishing the lake?

What species should I target? Areas to avoid? I generally fish on small lakes so fishing a flowing, deep, dynamic river/lake will be new to me. For years, I've been considering buying a decent fishfinder that can save the contours. This might be a good time to make the investment.

I'm basically fishing for tips/information/opinions :wink: .

Dan
DHawk
Participant
Participant

Re: New to Lac Des Chats

Post by DHawk »

I figured that I should specify. Of course, I'm not looking for secrets but I'd be happy if anyone has some advise. Submerged rocks to avoid in the boat? waterside restaurants to try? Common species to target (I assume catfish?)/not waste my time targeting? What are the ice conditions generally like on the lake?
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by pickereye chaser »

I fish Braeside a few times a year for the last few. Im still scratching the surface of it. Definitely get a graph if you can.

Catfish can be a blast in braeside/prior area. You can see them on graph (piles of them). I usually switch to targeting them if can't get on the wallys. Also found some good smallies too. The ottawa can be a lot of fun. I don't think I've been skunked in the dozen or so times I've been

I usually fish the rocky shoals and islands pulling crawler harnesses and jig if find fish. A lot of structure on the river.

I think you'll have a lot of fun. Ask around about rocks. They can come up quick in spots. I don't know the river up around bonnechere river. Good luck!
DHawk
Participant
Participant

Post by DHawk »

Thanks for the info. I will ask the local cottagers this winter about any area hazards. Good luck on your future Braeside/Arnprior trips.
derekalipsa
Participant
Participant

Post by derekalipsa »

Hey DHawk

If your thinking about buying a good fishfinder with GPS and contour saving abilities DO IT! I used a basic lowrance all season just to save a few waypoints, it made such a difference. I could not imagine fishing without it. I just upgraded and bought a helix 7 G3N MSI from cabelas. They are 350$ off right now. While having gps way points was really nice having a basemap will make a huge difference. Also having AutoChart will make mapping out my usual fishing areas way easier. If your thinking about it definitely do it. It is worth the money. If you don't need/want side imaging then you could definitely save some money and get a unit without. But definitely get one with good GPS capabilities. It will make a big difference. Garmin and HumminBird are the kings in my opinion, not that Lowrance is bad I just have preferred using Garmin and humminbird systems more than Lowrance.

Here's the link for the Helix 7 at cabelas https://www.cabelas.ca/product/120658/h ... si-gps-g3n

Tight lines

Derek
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

I have a Helix Mega SI and can even see a fish on the Ottawa river ,useless to me .
DHawk
Participant
Participant

Post by DHawk »

Wally wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:48 pm I have a Helix Mega SI and can even see a fish on the Ottawa river ,useless to me .
oh... why? is the water too murky?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

lucky. ya get all species in that area. from cats to huge musky!
get a map with deapths and structurs .

you will get plenty of fish
dont forget to post. some fishing reports 😬