Ice Reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bigcvin
Participant
Participant

Ice Reports

Post by Bigcvin »

Hello Everyone, hope you had a great and safe soft water season.

Just looking to see if anyone knows of any lakes right now with relatively safe ice. Not looking for hot spots, or looking to take a polar dive, just looking to get out if possible. We take all precautions going out, spud bars, ice picks, packing light, floating ropes, etc.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice Reports

Post by John Zach »

No safe ice yet as far as I know. I checked a smaller lake recently and there was an inch of clear ice right at shore, and probably 1-1/2 or 2 inches further out, often the shore starts out with less ice oddly enough, less exposure to the temperature than less shelters ice once there’s ice everywhere. I’ve done some calculations using Gord Pyzers fdd (freezing degree day) system for ice formation and on smaller lakes where ice has had a chance to form already, there should be 4-6 inches of ice by the weekend of December 11 and 12. Don’t trust me too much though, I’m no expert. I’ll post an update at the end of that weekend.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

I went to check out Long Island in Manotick Monday and was frozen right across. Smashed through and was about an inch and half thick at the shore. That usually my safe bet for early ice. Still a bit away. I went to Sherleys bay and there was hardly ice frozen off shore. Chomping at the bit as well haha.
Chasenic
Participant
Participant

Post by Chasenic »

I’ve been checking lots too. Weather tomorrow might wreck a lot of the ice that has formed so far:(
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

How much ice do you expect the rain to deteriorate on the parts that already have 2 inches?
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Rain and +5C today...even the small shallow ponds are going to be iffy. Big lakes and even smaller deep lakes are still open water in central Frontenac.
The 14 day forecast shows temps hovering at just above or a little below the freezing mark...so it may be closer to Christmas before it's safe to get out.
Personally, I need to see 4 inches...I've broken through the ice before...spent 15 minutes in the water before a buddy hauled me out...never again.
The tug is the drug..
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

As we approach ice fishing season please take extreme caution. I know a few people that have already been out on the ice and it is always tempting, but check ice yourself. DO NOT rely on the internet for ice reports.

Many of the smaller back lakes are spring or creek fed and one spot can have a decent amount of ice and 20 feet away the ice can be paper thin. Wear a float suit or life jacket, carry ice picks and a floating rope dragging behind you, and don't go alone.

The 14 day forecast, though I know it will change, is not really ice building temperatures. Lots of time to ice fish when the ice is safe. If you want to fish there are still shore spots open or get out in the boat. I am hoping to have my boat out until Christmas.

Be safe Hawk-talkers
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Great advice Jim.
One other thing don't go out alone. Practice the buddy system. Walking out keep at least 50 ft apart, and stay within in sight of each other. Use a spud and check the thickness every 10 ft on the way to your spot.
The tug is the drug..
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

The tug is the drug..
Chasenic
Participant
Participant

Post by Chasenic »

Finally found safe ice. Took checking 5 lakes but paid off. Managed to land myself 3 Brookies in the short time I had before dark. FYI about 1h 30 minutes from Ottawa.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

Wonderful! How thick was the ice?

My dad and I went out today, to check the ice at a pretty well know, slightly smaller lake west of Ottawa. There was about 3 inches of clear ice at shore, enough for me to walk on no problem. Only went about 15 feet away from the boat launch though, and didn't do any fishing. My dad is pretty wary of thinner ice, his dad wouldn't walk on anything less than 6.... I'll wait till next weekend, provided it doesn't thaw too much....
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

However, I wouldn't fish on three inches. It supports me no problem, but still not a good bet. Wait for at least 4.
Chasenic
Participant
Participant

Post by Chasenic »

Ice was about 3-3.5inch stayed close to shore and checked ever couple feet.