Shirley's Bay 2022 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2022 Ice season

Post by CCLad »

JimmyV wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 pm I went there Tuesday mid-day with kid. Didn't catch a thing but the ice was thick. There was another pop-up shack and three folks out on the ice without shack. Someone from the Lodge was blocking the ramp so I had to pay $10 for parking. He was pretty rude to me and my kid, won't go back there unless I hear reports of folks parking on the ice.
Pay for parking??? Been fishing at Shirley's for 40 years, never heard of it. Anyone notice if the NCC has moved the boulders from the top of the launch?

That said, my job site has moved down to the east end of the city, thus I haven't had a chance to look into/post conditions. I have to go to my old work place in Kanata tomorrow. If i have time i'll bring the auger out and punch some holes and post the findings. Although, if there was a truck out there, I'm sure the interior of the bay is good to go...
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

CCLad wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:55 pm Pay for parking??? Been fishing at Shirley's for 40 years, never heard of it. Anyone notice if the NCC has moved the boulders from the top of the launch?
I've been out there twice this season. Haven't seen or heard of anyone being charged a fee for parking (it's a free lot no?). Both times I've gone the parking lot has been pretty full and lots of folks parking to the left side of the launch, so I believe the boulders you are talking about have been moved.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

think jimmyv is talking about Constance Lake, there is a lodge there and they do charge parking. Used to be $5.00 , probably trying to make up for the lost revenue at the restaurant :roll:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Fisherman89 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:16 pm
CCLad wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:55 pm Pay for parking??? Been fishing at Shirley's for 40 years, never heard of it. Anyone notice if the NCC has moved the boulders from the top of the launch?
I've been out there twice this season. Haven't seen or heard of anyone being charged a fee for parking (it's a free lot no?). Both times I've gone the parking lot has been pretty full and lots of folks parking to the left side of the launch, so I believe the boulders you are talking about have been moved.
The boulders have been moved I assume, thanks to Tim it's now on their regular schedule to move each late fall.
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

No need to thank me, its all the NCC. Nice to see them listen to the people wjho use tyhe properties....

That said, I wont be posting any ice report today, went into the garage and my auger wouldn't fire up and the gas tank seal for the fuel hose has a leak. Pi$$ me off, two years old, never dropped, properly maintained and put away properly at the end of the season. WTF
:angry-cussingblack:
JimmyV
Participant
Participant

Post by JimmyV »

CCLad wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:55 pm
JimmyV wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 pm I went there Tuesday mid-day with kid. Didn't catch a thing but the ice was thick. There was another pop-up shack and three folks out on the ice without shack. Someone from the Lodge was blocking the ramp so I had to pay $10 for parking. He was pretty rude to me and my kid, won't go back there unless I hear reports of folks parking on the ice.
Pay for parking??? Been fishing at Shirley's for 40 years, never heard of it. Anyone notice if the NCC has moved the boulders from the top of the launch?

That said, my job site has moved down to the east end of the city, thus I haven't had a chance to look into/post conditions. I have to go to my old work place in Kanata tomorrow. If i have time i'll bring the auger out and punch some holes and post the findings. Although, if there was a truck out there, I'm sure the interior of the bay is good to go...
Sorry - I tried to reply to another thread about Constance Lake. They charged there and not Shirley's Bay.
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

JimmyV wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 pm Someone from the Lodge was blocking the ramp so I had to pay $10 for parking.
annoying! that constance lake ramp is on a road allowance. He doesn't own the ramp.
Fee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fee »

My understanding was that the ramp by the restaurant was a provincial access point. The only hitch was the requirement to park after launching your boat etc, and this is where Chuck stepped in for the parking fee. I noticed in mid-December that he was blocking the ramp onto the lake. I didn't think much of it since the ice was barely thick enough to walk on. If he is blocking the ramp on a regular basis, perhaps there was a change to the designation of the land. A similar situation occurred with the Mississippi ramp at the bottom of Maple Ridge Road just outside of Pakenham. The ramp changed from a public to private access point.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Took the ATV out early afternoon for the first time this year. Was about 100 yards or so offshore- In line sort of where the perm. hut is set up. Was on 10.5” of ice. Clear black too. Marked a lot of small perch and had a few bites. Only got out for an hour and a half, but was still nice!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

10.5 inches of clear black ice is music to my ears! If all goes well we should have our hut out there by next weekend! Can't wait to get out there.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Shirley’s has 13” in close and 10-12” out in 10ft of water. Fished 9-10’ the last two nights. Bite was 4-5 pm Saturday and 4:30-5:30 tonight. Caught 3 eyes each day, along with a bunch of pesky perch, no sauger, landed two 15”+ tonight at 4:45 and 4:46pm. Lost my GPS coordinates of the 12’ shelf I found a few years ago so just punching holes looking for it again. BTW there is a large pressure heave so be mindful if you are on a sled further out.
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

Any word out there on ice condition? It's all good and safe, yeah? Take care everyone!
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Mitch24 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:21 pm Any word out there on ice condition? It's all good and safe, yeah? Take care everyone!
Over a foot of ice. I guess it depends on your risk tolerance :)
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

Haha that'll do. Thanks for the reply. Have a great season everyone, stay safe out there! :)
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Mitch24 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:59 pm Haha that'll do. Thanks for the reply. Have a great season everyone, stay safe out there! :)
Not a problem! If you stick to more or less where most of the shacks are set up should be pretty uniform. Have seen one truck on the ice about a week and a half ago, probably lots more out there now!