Shirley's Bay 2022 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Shirley's Bay 2022 Ice season

Post by CCLad »

Hi all, it was suggested that I start a new thread for this years ice season on the bay. It's been a great way for those of us who fish there to share info on the fishing, conditions etc....

As I always say, I'm not suggesting that anyone venture out without knowing if the conditions are safe, but anyone who will be going out at some point in the future, share the knowledge on this thread. Wont be long now!!!
CCLad.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2022 Ice season

Post by Mav »

Thanks Tim! I can’t wait to get out there!!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Given the weather, could be a while, we had the hut set up on Jan 3rd and 4th in 2021, 2020... Wpont be this year!
CCLad.
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

We just had a new baby, so I'm happy the seasons delayed or I'd be chompin at the bit! I haven't even gone to look at the bay. Is there any ice forming at all?

For the last two years, I had already wet my lines!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Piscivore wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:09 pm We just had a new baby, so I'm happy the seasons delayed or I'd be chompin at the bit! I haven't even gone to look at the bay. Is there any ice forming at all?

For the last two years, I had already wet my lines!
Hey, Congratulations! I hope mom and baby are doing well. Plenty of time to ice fish in life, take care of your family and all the best!!!
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

Oh, we all go out icefishing together. My wife declared I should buy our first pop up shelter. She found trying to breastfeed our daughter in the wind quite unpleasant. The kids like going out too, especially when they have friends to play with. I do go out more often on my own, especially in the night and on cold days. But, we have had a lot of interesting experiences and fun adventures together ice fishing.

Baby and mom are doing well! Unfortunately for her, this seasons probably a write-off!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:41 pm Given the weather, could be a while, we had the hut set up on Jan 3rd and 4th in 2021, 2020... Wpont be this year!
CCLad.
I think you might be wrong on that :-)

Looking at my diary, we are right on track. I would speculate that first ice-fishing on the bay will take place by Dec 30th (4 inches of ice). Will be interesting to see how that prediction pans out :-)
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

scarkner wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:32 pm
CCLad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:41 pm Given the weather, could be a while, we had the hut set up on Jan 3rd and 4th in 2021, 2020... Wpont be this year!
CCLad.

Looking at my diary, we are right on track. I would speculate that first ice-fishing on the bay will take place by Dec 30th (4 inches of ice). Will be interesting to see how that prediction pans out :-)

Dear god I hope you’re right!
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

I went to Long Island in Manotick on Monday and there was a guy out on the ice fishing…. May check that out this evening. Can’t wait til the bay freezes over. Of course this year when we have upgraded our tent we have double digit highs in Dec :roll:
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

scarkner wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:32 pm
CCLad.

Hope you are right Steve! Merry Christmas all!
JimmyV
Participant
Participant

Post by JimmyV »

Went out with my kids today and set up a pop-up. Ice was about 8" 50M off the shore and around 5" 300M or so out. Probably 3-4 other crews out fishing today too. There's one permanent shack there already. Didn't catch anything, but we were out there.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Thanks for the report JimmyV! Great to have you on the online fish-hawk community :)
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for sharing jimmy! Good to hear.
CCLad.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Thanks for the update guys, haven't hit Shirlies for a bunch of years, may have to give it a shot this year.
Wondering if anyone has hit Constance Lake yet, might check it out tomorrow
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Bear wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:29 pm Thanks for the update guys, haven't hit Shirlies for a bunch of years, may have to give it a shot this year.
Wondering if anyone has hit Constance Lake yet, might check it out tomorrow
Pretty sure I saw Scarkner post earlier that he was on Constance last week. It's always the first ice to freeze up.
Smitty

Straight shooter