Ice Season So Far

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice Season So Far

Post by scarkner »

Yes I said "So Far"...

It's already been an awesome year with my first trip on December 5th which saw a few nice brookies landed. Also hit Constance Lake on Dec 12 for some great panfish action (sadly no pike).

The season was then interrupted by some open-water fishing on 15th December on the mighty larry with a healthy pile of walters greeting us before swithcing back to ice fishing yesterday for Rainbows.

Based on prior years "first ice" dates, things are looking good:
2017: 23 Dec
2018: 24 Nov
2019: 7 Dec
2020: 18 Dec
2021: 5 Dec

Sorry no pics, I find them too hard to attach on Fish-Hawk (it's the #1 reason that I barely ever contribute to this website) :roll:
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ice Season So Far

Post by JimW »

Thanks for the report.

The message board software was upgraded a few months ago, so it should not be too hard to post photos now, I know it was for awhile.

Click the “Attachments” tab below… then click “Add files” and select your photos from your computer or phone and done. I added 3 photos just as examples with 6 clicks on my phone, just as easy as on FB.

The photos will load at the bottom of your post or you can add the photos “inline”.

Another option is to upload photos to imgur.com and then copy the image links into your post, but that is more work.

I hope that helps.

JimW
Attachments
9BD8C203-4924-4D9F-A88B-B6A2A5FF6D3D.jpeg
9BD8C203-4924-4D9F-A88B-B6A2A5FF6D3D.jpeg (307.56 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
6B9D547D-9FD6-4350-9588-B2A255FE7106.jpeg
6B9D547D-9FD6-4350-9588-B2A255FE7106.jpeg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 1595 times
7AAFAC75-E44B-48E5-A17B-0D89ABEEAD31.jpeg
7AAFAC75-E44B-48E5-A17B-0D89ABEEAD31.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 1595 times
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Hey Scarkner, sounds like you've had some decent trips already! Are you fishing in Zone 18? I checked out a few lakes up by Calabogie last weekend, but they were all wide open still. With the weather we've had now and the current forecast I think I'll be able to get on some good ice by Boxing day!
Battery Lake - 2021-12-18
Battery Lake - 2021-12-18
20211218_120252.jpg (682.3 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
FishEyes
Participant
Participant

Post by FishEyes »

Good to know the conditions up and around Calabogie, Fisherman89. Thank you for the updates. Saves me a trip!
Steve. :banana-guitar:
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Fisherman89 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:01 pm Hey Scarkner, sounds like you've had some decent trips already! Are you fishing in Zone 18? I checked out a few lakes up by Calabogie last weekend, but they were all wide open still. With the weather we've had now and the current forecast I think I'll be able to get on some good ice by Boxing day!

20211218_120252.jpg
yeah almost all in zone 18... surprised battery is open!
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Lakes up around Calabogie should be good now. That photo was from Dec 18th. I got out again on the 26th and there was 5-6 inches of ice.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Fisherman89 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:02 am Lakes up around Calabogie should be good now. That photo was from Dec 18th. I got out again on the 26th and there was 5-6 inches of ice.
Good to know. Thanks I am hoping to head up that way soon.

Tight lines and safe fishin'

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

While we're on the subject of Calabogie, anyone know any good bait shops in that area (Zone 15). With the new bait restrictions coming into effect in the new year, I'll have to find a new bait shop up that way.

Maybe we could have a new forum topic for bait shops in each bait management zone?
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

There's a bait shop in Renfrew, which is zone 15 I believe. I forget its name but someone else might know.
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

https://www.gourleysoutdoors.com/

Good service and great baits
Highway 132
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

JimW wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm Thanks for the report.

The message board software was upgraded a few months ago, so it should not be too hard to post photos now, I know it was for awhile.

Click the “Attachments” tab below… then click “Add files” and select your photos from your computer or phone and done. I added 3 photos just as examples with 6 clicks on my phone, just as easy as on FB.

The photos will load at the bottom of your post or you can add the photos “inline”.

Another option is to upload photos to imgur.com and then copy the image links into your post, but that is more work.

I hope that helps.

JimW
I never would have thought to click that "Attachments" tag below the message entry box. I did a post today and you are certainly right that it is easy. Maybe a post/sticky on the subject is in order. I think the only photo tip that shows up is from 2016 and explains how to use photobucket! LOL.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Thanks I will make a new post about posting photos. :D and great report.

Jim

scarkner wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:57 pm
JimW wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm Thanks for the report.

I hope that helps.

JimW
I never would have thought to click that "Attachments" tag below the message entry box. I did a post today and you are certainly right that it is easy. Maybe a post/sticky on the subject is in order. I think the only photo tip that shows up is from 2016 and explains how to use photobucket! LOL.
Jim Wilson