Ice Thickness - Tips?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DHawk
Participant
Participant

Ice Thickness - Tips?

Post by DHawk »

I get a reminder of varying ice conditions every year when I drive to visit family in Kingston. There are lakes that are that will have tons of open water (bigger & deeper) and my local cottage lake that will have over a foot of ice at the same time (skinny, flowing - it's actually a widening of a river system). We get updates from the locals on the ice thickness.

I want to start venturing onto small lakes in the area, earlier in the season. I hear that early ice can be really good fishing. If one lake ices over weeks before another, will the first be more productive or do I get two chances at early ice by switching to the second lake after a few weeks? Does anyone have any tips on predicting which lakes will be better candidates for early ice? What does everyone suggest for checking the ice thickness (aside from locals/regulars)? Will any cordless drill with a spade bit work for checking ice thickness? Should I purchase a spud bar? My ice auger is manual.

DHawk
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ice Thickness - Tips?

Post by Corvus Lacus »

A spud bar is your best friend . Don't forget ice picks and a floating rope. Always go out with a buddy....keep at least 50 ft apart as you're walking out.
The tug is the drug..