First Fish of 2022!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Fish of 2022!!!

Post by JimW »

Well with teaching back online, my afterschool coaching is on hold for a bit, so what is better than hitting the ice for a couple hours after work in search of a couple walleye!!! :D

So my buddy Scott and I headed out for a quick little hard water outing. We were skunked last week on our first trip on the ice for the season, so a 4" perch would be an improvement. :lol:

Once on the ice we got set up... we decided to pack light since we were only going to be out for a couple hours.... no portable huts and just hand augers. My buddy drilled the first hole with his auger, and we are still not sure what happened but when he lifted the auger out of the hole the auger screw fell out of the handle and sank to the bottom for the lake. :( Not a good start. Luckily I had my hand auger so we continue setting up.... each with a set line with a minnow and a jigging rod.

We started marking a few fish on the sonars coming to take a look at our jigging lures, but no takers. I finally get a hit... but the fish does not get hooked and is good. Eventually another fish shows some interest and.... FISH ON... I land a nice little walleye on a Northland Eyeball spoon!!

A little while later my partner is in on the action and lands his first walleye of the day.

I switch up my lure to a larger flutter spoon and play with a big fish on the sonar for a couple minutes.... but then it just swims off. But shortly after that.... FISH ON.... my buddy Scott has another walleye on the ice!!!

Not getting much interest in my larger spoon, I switch up to one of my favourite jigging lures and the lure Scott has landed two walleye on already, a small Rapala Jigging Rap.

And that lure seemed to be the ticket for the next hour we go back and forth between the 2 of us every few minutes landing another walleye!! And then the bite just died.... and home we went!!

All told a great couple hours on the ice, no big fish, but lots of fun. All fish went back to fight another day.
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: First Fish of 2022!!!

Post by scarkner »

Great way to start the season!!!
basswarz
Participant
Participant

Post by basswarz »

Nice and congrats
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Awesome report and pictures.
Little more snow there which is nice for walking out.