Any ice on Eagle lake yet?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishern00b
Participant
Participant

Any ice on Eagle lake yet?

Post by fishern00b »

I know that on dipper lakes the ice is formed later into the season and it's most likely too early for the safe ice but I was hoping that somebody could give the current update about Eagle or Crow lake.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Any ice on Eagle lake yet?

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Eagle is iced over...at least the parts visible from 38. A single hut out...close to shore. No signs of any foot traffic.

As of Sunday, the deeper southern basin of Crow was still open water :shock: . The north basin has about 4 inches, but not consistent with plenty of open water pressure cracks. The photo is from my deck on Sunday....with the Saturday thaw it was covered in water. Not great conditions. If the cold nights hold over the next few days, I may pop a few holes for Whities and Eyes this weekend.
Jan9.jpg
Jan9.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1094 times
For the time being, I've been hitting the small trout lakes north of 7 ...most have 6 + inches, just some thin spots around springs to be wary of..I've had the side-by-side out, no problem.
Some fat Bows on dead-sticked roe.
Jan8.jpg
Jan8.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
The tug is the drug..
fishern00b
Participant
Participant

Post by fishern00b »

Thanks, this is very helpful. I will probably try my luck for Whities in the end of next week.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I have to say that is one heck of a football specimen!!!! I am a die hard steel header and have only targeted bows through the ice a few times. I've never used roe "Through the ice" and have not used it in years, not that I'm against it, I
just can't harvest fish for I'm allergic :shock: I've done well with Stone Flies and "The secret bait" lol. Is that fish stocked or natural? Quite the hefty football for a lake fish indeed!!!! I mainly fish the East tribs living in Ottawa, but do venture occasionally to the Western basin, and GB tribs. The reason I post, is I've never seen anyone use roe east of Millhaven before. Great catch and look forward to more reports!

F.F
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Definitely a stocked Rainbow, and certainly not a Steelhead (which I am very familiar with...I've fished for them for over 40 years from Pulaski to Thunder Bay). This came from a tiny lake in North Frontenac that gets stocked with an insane number (given the size of this "pond") of yearling Rainbows. The clipped pectoral fin and the worn down dorsal are evidence of it's time spent in a hatchery pen...that and a diet of pellets making it fat and sloppy. Not as great tasting as a "wild" fish, but a few hours in the smoker with my "Indian Candy" recipe make it great with a cold brew while tuning in to some Sunday afternoon NFL.

Fresh roe is like crack to Rainbows. They just can't resist the scent of juicy candy...in still water it will draw them in from a distance. Like you, I haven't used roe for years for Steelhead, but for put & take stockers in a pond, I don't have a problem using hatchery sourced roe.

Hey F.F. Your first name wouldn't happen to be Kevin ? If so, we used know each other quite well back in the day. I'm Rick...used to go as Bobtrout years ago on the Float Board. You and your gf once spent the weekend ice fishing at my old cottage on Bobs lake. In fact, I think I was the one that turned you on to Millhaven…lol.

Here's an old photo of me on one of the Superior tribs...when I was younger and lighter...that's a custom MyKiss pin that Keith Snarey (ChromeBuck) from Michigan used to manufacture...
Fishing 009 (1).jpg
Fishing 009 (1).jpg (301.93 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
The tug is the drug..
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

It IS YOU Rick!!!!!!!!! I thought it was just by the view of your picture!!!!! So great to see you doing well my friend!!!!!! I'll send you a pm with contact info and we should try to share a day on hard or soft water indeed!

Kevin.