Petrie island

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Petrie island

Post by andrew1234 »

I'm just curious about Petrie Ice fishing ice road. What kind of authority do they have? Can they legit charge you to drive on it? I understand it's plowed etc but if I were to plow a stretch of the Ottawa river I couldn't charge people access to it. It's not private property they can't ask me to leave could they? I'm not looking to argue with anybody there, I have no beef with them, I've rented their huts before. This just came up in a conversation snd I'm just looking to understand
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Petrie island

Post by scarkner »

andrew1234 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 pm I'm just curious about Petrie Ice fishing ice road. What kind of authority do they have? Can they legit charge you to drive on it? I understand it's plowed etc but if I were to plow a stretch of the Ottawa river I couldn't charge people access to it. It's not private property they can't ask me to leave could they? I'm not looking to argue with anybody there, I have no beef with them, I've rented their huts before. This just came up in a conversation snd I'm just looking to understand
Marinas DO have privacy rights to certain areas on the water. There is a misconception that all water is automatically public.

However, Ozziles are exceptionally kind in this regard in that, to my knowledge and past experience, they don't have any issue with people access the ice with their vehicles along the plowed ramp and roads that they make, as long as you aren't setting up your own permanent hut or interfering with the villiage.

I have driven on at Petrie a number of times with no issues.

A final note, when accessing any area with plowed roads, if you have an opportunity to find out who plowed it... a couple bucks donated helps encourage continued plowing :-)