Trying a new spot on a familiar lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trying a new spot on a familiar lake

Post by Fisherman89 »

Wanted to get out on the ice once more before we get dumped on with all this snow in the forecast. Had a look at the contours for a lake I've fished several times the past few years (first time this ice season), and found a new spot that looked like it would be worth trying out.

The spot was quite a bit farther from the access point than I usually fish, but with the lack of snow on the ice, I figured it would be an easy walk (with ice cleats). I set a waypoint on my GPS and made my way out to the spot. Got to the spot and no holes in sight, I'm the first one to fish here this ice season!

Drilled several holes (there's 16+ inches of ice) and after checking the depths, set up two tip ups in the ones that I liked. Shortly after one flag popped. Was a nice 14" walleye.
PXL_20220116_184616319.jpg
PXL_20220116_184616319.jpg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 1617 times
Decided to set up the pop up near this tip up, and settled in for the afternoon. About an hour went by before the next bite, got a 15.5" walleye on a rattle bait. Then a few minutes later checked my tip up and noticed the trigger was slightly turned, but not enough to pop the flag. Checked it and sure enough there was a fish on it. Pulled up a nice size, out of season smallmouth, treble hook was just in the snout took it out and sent her back down the hole quickly.

Ended up reeling in the tip up, and setup my dead stick in the shack. Caught another 14" eye on the dead stick and then had a bit of a lull in action.

Around 4:40 PM I saw a nice mark come in on my sonar and it was eying the minnow on my deadstick. I saw it take the bait and I waited a bit before setting the hook to make sure that it had it. It's a good one! After a short fight I brought in a nice 20" walleye.
PXL_20220116_214258361.jpg
PXL_20220116_214258361.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1617 times
Rebaited the deadstick and as I was dropping the minnow back to the bottom I see another mark come darting up. It grabs the minnow halfway up the water column (I'm fishing in 17ft), and it's another good one. After a bit longer of a fight I have a nice 18.5" walleye top side.

Here's a video of the back to back walleyes: https://youtu.be/WbWFlusCb7Q

After that I caught one more smaller eye on the dead stick, and lost another nice size one on my jigging rod. I called it a night around 6PM.

Was a great afternoon on the ice, and I'm glad I decided to try a new spot. Today the fish seemed to like the live bait presentation the most. On my dead stick I'm using 6lb mono with a 6lb fluoro leader, #8 Gamakatsu octopus hook and a split shot set 6" above the hook. Was using small to medium size emerald shiners as bait.

Cheers!
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Trying a new spot on a familiar lake

Post by Wally »

Very nice eyes there ,was curious did you had swivels on your lines or hooks.....Thanks ...Wally
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Wally wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:54 am Very nice eyes there ,was curious did you had swivels on your lines or hooks.....Thanks ...Wally
Hey Wally, on my deadstick rod I have no swivels. Just a uni-to-uni (double uni) knot to tie the mainline to the fluoro leader and I tie the leader directly to the hook.

For my jigging rod I used to use the uni-to-uni as well, but found I get too much line twist when using jigging raps and rattle baits. So now I tie a small swivel between the mainline and the leader. I use just a plain snap for connecting jigs, so that I can easily change presentations without retying.
Lindy Rigger
Participant
Participant

Post by Lindy Rigger »

Nicely done!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

That was a fantastic outing for ya! What fishing is all about really...trying out a new spot with success, there's nothing like it!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Awesome fish, those are great eater walleye!
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Walleye'm Fishing wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 pm That was a fantastic outing for ya! What fishing is all about really...trying out a new spot with success, there's nothing like it!
Yup, trying new spots doesn't always work out, but it's a great feeling when it does!
scarkner wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:42 pm Awesome fish, those are great eater walleye!
Yeah, I considered keeping that 18.5 incher (only one I caught that was in the slot), but decided to let her go. Next time it is caught it may be over the slot too!
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

What's the slot size there and what zone may ask......Thanks
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Wally wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:34 pm What's the slot size there and what zone may ask......Thanks
Hey Wally. This is in Zone 18. You can keep them between 40 to 50cm.