St. Lawrence big pike?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

St. Lawrence big pike?

Post by bsc2000 »

Hi all,

Back in the day, during the Riverfest pike derby, there always used to be 15-20 lbs that would win the boat/motor/trailer. We used to be able to catch 6ers fairly regularly and occasionally luck into an 8 to 10lbs fish on the St. Lawrence near Brockville.

But that was 30+ years ago and now it seems tough to catch anything bigger than 3 pounds.

The St. Lawrence is a big body of water, so the big fish have to be in there, I just have no idea where. As lots of folks seem to look at pike as a garbage fish (not me, I LOVE pike fishing) I'm hoping that folks might be willing to let me know where on the Larry I should be looking for the bigger pike. If you are a bass guy and don't want the gaters getting in the way, tell me where to go get them, though I always practice live release.

Any tips would be great folks, even if it's not on the St. Lawrence.

Thank you
Scott
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: St. Lawrence big pike?

Post by JimW »

Lots of big pike still on the St. Lawrence I find more in the west towards to mouth and around the islands. In the winter find the flats with perch and decent pike are not far behind. We had a fish pike in the 15 pound range under our hole last weekend. And catch good sized pike in Eastern Lake Ontario in the fall trolling, so they are still around.

For ice fishing dead herring on quick strike rigs, though not sure if with new bait regulations can still use dead herring.

In the boat we troll the various shoals on Eastern Lake Ontario with deep diving crankbaits in late summer/fall and do well will fish in the 10 pound plus range.. a few 15 plus pounds.

Best of luck.

JimW
bsc2000 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm Hi all,

Back in the day, during the Riverfest pike derby, there always used to be 15-20 lbs that would win the boat/motor/trailer. We used to be able to catch 6ers fairly regularly and occasionally luck into an 8 to 10lbs fish on the St. Lawrence near Brockville.

But that was 30+ years ago and now it seems tough to catch anything bigger than 3 pounds.

The St. Lawrence is a big body of water, so the big fish have to be in there, I just have no idea where. As lots of folks seem to look at pike as a garbage fish (not me, I LOVE pike fishing) I'm hoping that folks might be willing to let me know where on the Larry I should be looking for the bigger pike. If you are a bass guy and don't want the gaters getting in the way, tell me where to go get them, though I always practice live release.

Any tips would be great folks, even if it's not on the St. Lawrence.

Thank you
Scott
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

Thanks Jim, I just had family move to the Gan area, I should probably take the boat up there and take them fishing. Least I can do for them I think :).
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Give the big weed beds out in Lac St Francis a go great pike action. Of course I'm referring to the soft water season, I have no idea of the ice conditions there... (sinking perch rapalas did the trick every time for us.)
CClad
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

Thank you!

Ok so that's the far east and the far west covered hahaha.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Some of the best Pike fishing in Eastern Ontario is on the south shore of Prince Edward County...The Waupoos area especially Smith Bay and South Bay produce lots of 30 to 36" fish and an occasional +40. Best in spring and again in fall when the water cools...extensive flats carpeted with cabbage weed. Big and flashy gets bit.

Surprisingly there's a not a lot of pressure/traffic....most guys early and late in the season are chasing gold around the corner on the Bay of Quinte.

I'm generally there for the brown bass in summer and fall...some real pigs a little further out.
The tug is the drug..
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Corvus Lacus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 pm Some of the best Pike fishing in Eastern Ontario is on the south shore of Prince Edward County...The Waupoos area especially Smith Bay and South Bay produce lots of 30 to 36" fish and an occasional +40. Best in spring and again in fall when the water cools...extensive flats carpeted with cabbage weed. Big and flashy gets bit.

Surprisingly there's a not a lot of pressure/traffic....most guys early and late in the season are chasing gold around the corner on the Bay of Quinte.

I'm generally there for the brown bass in summer and fall...some real pigs a little further out.
C.L.

sssshhhh.....
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

Corvus you're a beauty!

Thanks
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

bsc2000 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 pm Hi all,

Back in the day, during the Riverfest pike derby, there always used to be 15-20 lbs that would win the boat/motor/trailer. We used to be able to catch 6ers fairly regularly and occasionally luck into an 8 to 10lbs fish on the St. Lawrence near Brockville. But that was 30+ years ago and now it seems tough to catch anything bigger than 3 pounds.

Thank you
Scott
If you are referring to the Pike derbys in Johnstown back then I remember them well. Late season. The last one I ever attended was miserable, real windy, just above freezing and thin ice that year. To find current we were like down to 4" and open water maybe 200 ft at most when we set up in the morning. By noon we were closer to 3" and the open water was noticeably closer so we packed it in. Even the Perch weren't biting inside. Give my -15° and calm anytime. I don't recall the name for sure but it may have been the Grenville Fish and Game or even the Legion. We would park at Grenville Park and walk out from the beach into the bay. The way I was taught was by a buddy at work who had fished it for a long time and brought a few of us from work out there one year, and we just followed him hehe. The trick for larger average size Pike there there was to go out far enough to just get into some current, inside was more Perch and small Pike. We were often among the furthest out. As you said, there was always big fish caught back then. One year I won a Johnson jacket for 25th(last) place payout at 8 1/2 lb. For the most part we used the largest Golden shiners we could find.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

No, Riverfest was always late June early July. I think the last one might have been like 2001? Maybe?

Got too big for its budget.

Was giving away a boat motor and trailer everyday.