No More GAS!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

No More GAS!!!

Post by Happy Hooker »

Bit the bullet and picked up a Strikemaster liteflite 8" paired with a drill I already had a Milwaukee 18 Fuel with a 5 amp hour battery.
Drilled 12 holes ice thickness from 19" t0 14" very solid. Drilled another 8 later, still 3 bars showing on battery.
When they say lite it is light!!!. Very little downward pressure required. Used drill selection speed 1.
Been ice fishing over 50 years went thru a hand auger 6" to 10" Jiffy to Husqvarna 8". No more mixing gas, no more pulling starter ropes, no tune ups required, no gas stabilizer. Able to put it in my house or cab of the truck no gas fumes.
I realize if you have to buy the drill and auger it is around $500. The drill will still be able to be used after the ice fishing season is over for other things around the house and you can store the auger indoors.
One thing Keep the battery warm, thermal lunch bag or in your vehicle till you hit the ice it will make a difference. :D :D :D

Hooker
Mav
Participant
Participant

Re: No More GAS!!!

Post by Mav »

I've got the clam drill plate, with a Swede-bore Fin 3 auger all powered by my 18v Ridgid Brushless (which was $129 on sale). It's light, fast and I can drill about 12 holes through 14" of solid ice with battery life to spare. I did it once this season already.

I'd never go with a gas auger again unless I lived somewhere where I was constantly drilling through 2 feet of ice.