Spring Crappie in Ottawa Area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tony613
Participant
Participant

Spring Crappie in Ottawa Area

Post by Tony613 »

Hi everyone,

I've been fishing here for many years but never really tried to catch Crappie. Incidental catch so far.
Thought would target them this spring, are the local lakes a good place to look? Don't want your honey holes, just wondering if White or Mississippi, Rideau etc. would contain them?

Thanks for any and all input.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Spring Crappie in Ottawa Area

Post by Corvus Lacus »

If you're looking for shore fishing opportunities close to Ottawa...I've always done well on the Rideau River in early spring..mostly around Burrits Rapids locks and also where Kemptville Creek flows in.
Check out the bridges where the smaller feeder creeks dump into the main river. Look for dark bottom bays and pools...these warm up first and will attract active fish.
Small jigs tipped with a live shiner or soft plastics under a slip float are the way to go. Hot colors like pink, orange and chartreuse are usually best in early season murky water. Sometimes switching to just a live shiner or chub on a plain hook will keep them biting after they turn off the jig bite. Keep in mind that Crappie look up to feed..in early spring they're usually suspended...adjust your slip float to keep the bait above them.

Further afield, and usually a boat required...Bobs, Crow, Indian and Dog/Cranberry Lakes all have solid populations of slabs. Again, south and west facing dark bottom bays with emergent weed growth are good bets. If marinas have docks in...they can be early season magnets too.
Attachments
20180520_154525.jpg
20180520_154525.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 3606 times
IMG_20181013_180948.jpg
IMG_20181013_180948.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 3606 times
IMG_20210711_211046.jpg
IMG_20210711_211046.jpg (5 MiB) Viewed 3606 times
The tug is the drug..
Tony613
Participant
Participant

Post by Tony613 »

Wow, that is so helpful. Really appreciate the feedback!
Suddsy2
Participant
Participant

Post by Suddsy2 »

Thanks for posting your response to Tony, it was very well written and extremely informative....nice job! I also gotta say those crappie photos got my mouth watering.......
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have been struggling to find them too, when I did get on them last year, it was pretty much as decribed above. Just a degree or two warmer water always seemed to hold them.
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by pickereye chaser »

Corvus Lacus wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:19 pm If you're looking for shore fishing opportunities close to Ottawa...I've always done well on the Rideau River in early spring..mostly around Burrits Rapids locks and also where Kemptville Creek flows in.
Check out the bridges where the smaller feeder creeks dump into the main river. Look for dark bottom bays and pools...these warm up first and will attract active fish.
Small jigs tipped with a live shiner or soft plastics under a slip float are the way to go. Hot colors like pink, orange and chartreuse are usually best in early season murky water. Sometimes switching to just a live shiner or chub on a plain hook will keep them biting after they turn off the jig bite. Keep in mind that Crappie look up to feed..in early spring they're usually suspended...adjust your slip float to keep the bait above them.

Further afield, and usually a boat required...Bobs, Crow, Indian and Dog/Cranberry Lakes all have solid populations of slabs. Again, south and west facing dark bottom bays with emergent weed growth are good bets. If marinas have docks in...they can be early season magnets too.
This is great info.

I'm hoping to have a better crack at bobs this weekend for crappie. I don't have a ton of confidence with targeting them. Whenever I've gotten into them its been mostly luck and right time and place. Did one morning last year first week of May and not a sniff. Spent most of the morning looking for warmer water and if I recall it was all within a degree or so of 48f. I launched in South end and planning to launch again there. Is that a worthwhile area to explore or should I head further up lake or into crow? Or even give it another week. Not looking for specific spots but a bit lost on these fish on where to focus other than find the warm water which should be south facing bays. Any help appreciated on where to start on bobs!
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

PM sent.
The tug is the drug..
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I'll add one more thing pertaining to the Rideau for you. This applies to early season mostly but at some of those feeder creeks the Crappie don't move in from the main river until almost sunset and then you'll get a short run lasting under an hour. So even if its quiet where you are be sure to stick around.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by pickereye chaser »

Corvus Lacus wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:35 pm PM sent.
Great thanks, although I didn't seen any PM in inbox.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Not sure what happened...check again.
The tug is the drug..