Multi-species Lake Ontario Action!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Multi-species Lake Ontario Action!!

Post by JimW »

Salmon Hunt.... Part 1

Since I am boatless after cracking my boat hull, I joined my buddy Brian and his son for a shot at some silver this past Sunday.... left the house at 1 am, meet up with Brian and loaded my salmon gear into his boat and hit the road for Lake O.

We were the first ones at the launch, so we get the boat in the water and hit the lake... it was definitely a little choppy out there which made things a little more difficult, but we set up 2 downrigger rods and two dipsey diver rods running 2 spoons and 2 Hotfish lures flashers and meat rigs.

We trolled the morning working 80 to 120 feet of water.... not too long into our fishing..... FISH ON and after a nice battle we land our first king of the day on a meat rig.

We continue fishing the morning picking off a chinook here and a chinook there.... and 1 bonus brown trout. As the winds were starting to build we packed it in shortly after 11 am. No huge fish but a good morning on the water.

All of our fish except one were caught on the same Hotfish lures flasher and twinkie rig combo off of the downrigger.

Here are a few fish that visited the boat.

Salmon hunting.... part two.

About 12 years ago I started the fishing club at Athens District High School where each year on our big club fishing trip we would go salmon fishing with Greg Amiel of Fishing4Tails, one of the top fishing guides in Ontario. The last couple years due to my heart surgery and then covid my fishing club has not been running, hopefully it will be going again next school year.

Even though the club is not running a day on the water with Greg is always a fun, educational, fish catching event!! So myself along with former Athens fishing club member Phil and former SFDCI fishing club member Chase (F-H member Chasenic) headed out fishing for the day with Greg in his Lund in search of silver.

We arrived a little bit later than planned due to construction, by we arrived at the marina at 5:30 am and heading out in search of fish.
It did not take too long before we had our first fish on the morning, we continued fishing the early morning landing a variety of chinook salmon and a bonus little Atlantic salmon (released) and then the bite just died. :(

Greg worked the area changing baits... changing depths... but no takers and no fish on the sonar..... so we decide let's go to Plan B..... and we reel in our gear and head deep!!

After checking a few spots looking for "good" water we set out our lines and not too long after..... fish on!!!! And we land what will be the first of numerous coho salmon of the morning. We continue working the area with some steady action of kings, cohos, rainbows and a brown trout.

All in all a great morning on the water, we landed a great mix of fish included a few big kings and 5 DIFFERENT SPECIES.... kings, cohos, an atlantic, rainbows and a brown trout.

As always another great morning on the water with Greg. If anyone is looking to get out for some salmon fishing contact Greg Amiel of Fishing4Tails, you will not be disappointed.

Here are some of the fish that visited the boat today.

Chinook Salmon

Atlantic Salmon (under sized so quickly released).

Coho salmon

Chinook Salmon

Rainbow Trout

Brown Trout

Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Multi-species Lake Ontario Action!!

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Nice mix of fish ! Curious...I don't want to know the exact location, but are you fishing the east or west end of Lake O ?
The tug is the drug..
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Corvus Lacus wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:15 pm Nice mix of fish ! Curious...I don't want to know the exact location, but are you fishing the east or west end of Lake O ?
Day 1 fishing East of Toronto. Day 2 fishing downtown Toronto.
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Can’t believe the size of some of those fish…it must be crazy to bring them in. They look wicked powerful.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.