Attention pontoon boat fisher people

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Attention pontoon boat fisher people

Post by Still Chasing »

I am considering getting rid of my 14 ft deep v and am leaning towards a pontoon boat for fishing. Can any one offer some insight as to what are the pro's and con's of using a pontoon boat to fish out of . I want install a trolling motor with spot lock and high end electronics. I also will be trailering it to a number of lakes north of Brockville and south of Ottawa. Thanks in advance.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Attention pontoon boat fisher people

Post by jsdx »

I have a traditional deep-v fishing boat but my pal has a big pontoon. It is a lot of fun to fish out of, especially lake trout trolling as you basically drive around (trolling) in a living room size space, while waiting for a bite. Very comfortable and social, you can fit more people and chit chat, take turns on the rods. A great friends and family boat when visitors come along. Spot lock and jigging for lakers or smallies would be ideal even with quite a few people. I recently got spot lock and its changed how I fish and certainly less concerns jigging in wind.

Its good in waves but in wind it can really blow around... so probably need a strong electric, and you can use drift socks and it doesn't move too fast nor get blown off course if you want to fish with wind assist blowing you along a shore line and fine tune with an electric, I think that would work well.

Fishing for bass is a different story, it will go into back shallow bays but its harder to maneuver or move spot to spot - his is 20ft so maybe a smaller one would be fine. If you like to anchor, great way to fish too.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Attention pontoon boat fisher people

Post by River Monster »

I fish out my fathers pontoon on the st Lawrence quite often, many drift and drag for smallies. You want to max out on the trolling motor for sure. But JSDX summed it up pretty well, its like a living room on the water. So Much Space. You can stay pretty dry during the rain and in the later months close it in a put a little buddy heater in there. If you can I would lean towards something with a casting deck.

The downside is you can and will get blown around, and no livewell but those could be added easily
- Rick Ozga