First ice fishing hut

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bigcvin
Participant
Participant

First ice fishing hut

Post by Bigcvin »

Hi Everyone, me and a couple buddies are looking to make our first little hut. It will be 4x8 with the rounded tops and covering with a tarp. I was wondering if the group has experiences with this type of small hut, and have any tips and tricks for operating it smoothly. I've got ice anchors to keep it down on the ice. One of my concerns was it melting into the ice, but I'm not sure if its too much of an issue to chip out since we'll have access to the inside and outside when removing it. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: First ice fishing hut

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Assuming this is a permanent hut that you're keeping in one location....keep it jacked up on 2×4 or 4×4 blocks. That will make it easy to pop free at the end of the season.

Not sure where you're locating it, but in most zones you will have to register it :

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ice-fishing
The tug is the drug..
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: First ice fishing hut

Post by CCLad »

Hi Bigcvin. I would recommend that you build skies into the floor structure. Our's are made from 10x2's. Much easier to move the hut around and all u have to do to prevent your hut from freezing into the ice is jack it up and put 4 - 2 foot pieces of 2x4 under the skies at each corner. We actually use pieces of 4x4 - just takes longer for them to freeze in. Once they are frozen 3/4 of the way into the ice, just pull the hut off of them, chip them out of the ice and repeat. I would not recommend you have the floor of the hut directly on the ice, it will freeze in and be a PITA to resolve.
Cheers CCLad.