Shirley's Bay 2023 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2023 Ice season

Post by Fisherman89 »

The ice conditions were great out there today. And the weather this week doesn't look too bad, so hopefully conditions will still be good next weekend too.

The last of the huts were removed today.

I was out there from about 4:30 to 7:00 fishing in 9 to 10 feet. Caught my biggest Walleye of this ice season followed by 6 Sauger. I caught the Walleye on a tip-up with a dead shiner just off the bottom. All the Sauger were caught on ripping raps or small spoons tipped with a minnow head.
PXL_20230312_213105804.jpg
PXL_20230312_213105804.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 2255 times
I'm hoping to get out there a couple more times this season still. Cheers!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Dustin wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 pm Met some really great dudes today, they put us on the fish. Turned a potential skunk day into a 14 fish day (2 walleye, 5 sauger, 7 perch). Hoping to get back out there next year with them!! ; )
Was a pleasure meeting you guys! What a great day, I should have put on some sunblock on my face though lol.... Hope to see you out there next season!
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Haven't had the time to get out on the ice lately...but finally got out last night. Had a great night! My daughter pulled in this beauty. Proud Dad Moment!!!!

Gotta thank CClad for all the help with ice conditions and advice he's given me throughout the years at shirleys, this is the biggest Walleye we've caught there in the 7+ years we've been fishing there! Came out for a quick pic then right back as she was def over the slot size. We usually catch and release anyways :)

Mav
Walleye.jpg
Walleye.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Riotralph
Participant
Participant

Post by Riotralph »

CCLad wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:35 am
Dustin wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 pm Met some really great dudes today, they put us on the fish. Turned a potential skunk day into a 14 fish day (2 walleye, 5 sauger, 7 perch). Hoping to get back out there next year with them!! ; )
Was a pleasure meeting you guys! What a great day, I should have put on some sunblock on my face though lol.... Hope to see you out there next season!
Welcome to join us this Sunday afternoon/eve for the "bite"! We will be tenting it.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for the invite, I can't make it though. Family stuff going on.

Good luck and go get'em!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Mav wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:40 am Haven't had the time to get out on the ice lately...but finally got out last night. Had a great night! My daughter pulled in this beauty. Proud Dad Moment!!!!

Gotta thank CClad for all the help with ice conditions and advice he's given me throughout the years at shirleys, this is the biggest Walleye we've caught there in the 7+ years we've been fishing there! Came out for a quick pic then right back as she was def over the slot size. We usually catch and release anyways :)

Mav

Nice Walleye!!! I'm sure your daughter will remember that for a long time!
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Anyone been out to Shirley's this week? I'm planning to go one last time tomorrow after work. Hoping the ice is still good!
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

I got out there last night. Still around 12 -14 inches of ice (5 - 6 of black with another 6 - 8 of white on top). Not a lot of slush out there either.

The bite was pretty good, nothing big, but got a couple 9" perch and close to a dozen walleye/sauger in the 10-12" range.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Nice, Thanks for the report! I'd like to get out one more time too!

M
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Closes March 31, going to head out tomorrow from 6-8. Good to hear the bite has been hot!
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

Was out yesterday from about 2:00 to 8:30 pm. We fished about 250 meters out for a while in 9-10 feet with no luck except for a couple of stupid little perch, so we moved further and set up in about 13 fow. The bite was not exactly hot, no walleye, but a few pretty aggressive little saugers here and there. All were caught on a micro tungsten dinner bell in the firetiger colour, tipped with a small minnow head. We had a few tip-ups with live shiners from Serge rolling the whole time, not a single flag all day.

Will probably get out a couple more times before the end of the month since mom and the girls are away for the week, so we'll see how that goes. If anyone can provide an update on the walleye it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, and tight lines!
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

Also, forgot to post about ice thickness. Ice is definitely still safe, the quality varied somewhat from spot to spot; some areas had almost all white and very little black, some had mostly black and very little white. About 14 inches either way, maybe a tiny bit less at our spot further out, which was about 500 or so meters from the launch.

There was also not nearly as much slush as I'd have expected, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Thank so much John Zach. Looks like things are holding up pretty well, as two weeks ago there was 15".

Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow for one last kick at the walleye before months end. They were biting good a couple weeks ago...lots of 10-12" unfrotunately, but that's a good sign for years to come.

R
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Just a little suggestion for you guys that are still getting out. What you should be doing is taking advantage of the best big Pike fishing of the ice season right now. They will sometimes even spawn under the ice but right now they will be staging just outside the lagoon in the back along those far shorelines. You want to be fishing in shallow waters close to shore with huge baits as the Pike try and corral baitfish schools against the shorelines. Middle of the day works fine, no need to wait for evenings.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Thanks for the suggestion Smitty! I'm not currently equipped for big pike fishing myself, but this is something I want to give a try next year.