Shirley's Bay 2023 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2023 Ice season

Post by smitty55 »

MVRKSMVN50 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:26 am Thanks for the tips!

I ended up going again last night with minnows from Serge. I found deeper water with some current and ended up with a couple sauger and a small walleye, missed something a little bit bigger close to the hole before the bite died at around 5:45. Ice quickly went from 7" to about 3.5-4" where I was. Hoping to get out again sometime this week.
Certainly sounds like you were in a better spot. If you don't have to, don't be in a rush to leave that early. Walleye are known to travel in schools of similar sized fish that can move through an area after the initial dusk run dies off. Plus there's always a chance of some Ling moving through.
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

" Ice quickly went from 7" to about 3.5-4" where I was"

Wholly crap! Anyone else been out there and checked the thickness?? Was going to bring the hut out tomorrow...
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:23 pm " Ice quickly went from 7" to about 3.5-4" where I was"

Wholly crap! Anyone else been out there and checked the thickness?? Was going to bring the hut out tomorrow...
Just stay at the edge of the current for the time being Tim,then you can move it out further as the ice increases. You can always place your outside lines in the deeper water with more current.
Smitty

Straight shooter
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

My dad drove by the Bay today and said he saw two permanent shacks out there. I was guessing it would be getting nearly thick enough by now. Not sure if they got pulled out by ATVs, but probably not by truck. Still haven't been on the bay myself, been busy and fishing occasionally in lanark.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

We are setting up tomorrow and will be using sleds to pull the hut out. I'll post my findings.
JimmyV
Participant
Participant

Post by JimmyV »

Last weekend's catch on Shirley's, some decent perch. I was 250 m or so out with 9" of ice, maybe more. Loads of folks out. Can't get out this weekend, but the weather looks perfect.
Attachments
Perch 2.jpg
Perch 2.jpg (169.47 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
Shacks.jpg
Shacks.jpg (382.77 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
Perch.jpg
Perch.jpg (543.1 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

We set the hut up out to the right of the lanch in about 9 feet of water. There is about 8" of ice, inch and a half of clear on the bottom with 6 and a half white ice. There was also about 3 inches of water on the top. Ended up with 3 perch like the ones above and 1 small walleye.
WalleyeWrangler12
Participant
Participant

Post by WalleyeWrangler12 »

Hey all! Just curious if anyone has anymore ice reports?
Thickness good?
Has the snow/up-and-down temps affected it?

Cheers,
Stevielad9
Participant
Participant

Post by Stevielad9 »

Hey! Was out tonight.. 150 or so yards out in 8 or 9 feet of water. It was a pretty brutal walk out as there is snow then water then ice. Ice was fine though.. 9 or so inches but not all the good black stuff. One guy went out with a truck but I'm not that brave.

Caught 2 perch and a small walleye. Talked to a couple other guys and they were into some perch but no wallies.

Not ideal but definitely fishable
WalleyeWrangler12
Participant
Participant

Post by WalleyeWrangler12 »

Thanks for the update.
I'm guessing the cold today might help a bit too.
Hope everyone is able to enjoy some ice fishing despite the warm winter.

Cheers!
JimmyV
Participant
Participant

Post by JimmyV »

Any ice updates after that deep freeze? Did that slush firm up? That stuff was brutal to walk across.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

I haven't been out to shirley's but was out on Petrie last night which also had had plenty of slush, but there's none left now. I'm sure it's the same on shirley's bay. After a couple days of low -20s and even -30 that slush didn't stand a chance.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

We went out sun and moved the hut . Theres about 3-4 inches of white ice with around 5 clear underneath. Better than it was... Not sure if I am going to be able to move the hut way out this year. That sucks, kinda like the fishing thus far lol.

20230205_162950.jpg
20230205_162950.jpg (641.57 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

That seems pretty sketchy ice still. How far out from the shore are you?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Some where around 300 yards or so out 9-10 feet of water. The ice is fine, picture isnt great, theres almost 10". I certainly would not be driving a car on it, although I've seen several vehicles out there. I'm getting concerned we wont be able to move the hut out to the better fishing grounds. Best year ever out there last season. Looks like it could be followed by one of the worst lol...