Mississippi Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
thebaron
Participant
Participant

Mississippi Lake

Post by thebaron »

Anyone spud mississippi lake yet?

A little over a week ago the guys at Baitcasters told me there was 4 inches (before the snow storm) and today I saw a shack on the ice at Innisville.

Anyone had a chance to see what its like at the Father Point launch or the conservation area launch?

I'm getting antsy. Might go spud it myself on Thurs.
Chasenic
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi Lake

Post by Chasenic »

I’ll be heading out tomorrow. There’s lots of current at father point. Someone went through last year. Gotta spud every step in the early season. My buddy checked quickly today and said 4ish inches of ice.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Good to know there is some ice out there, I didn't think it would be that far along yet. I'm heading up north (Timmins area) for the holidays, so no worries of finding safe ice up there! But I'll be looking to get out down here when I'm back.
thebaron
Participant
Participant

Post by thebaron »

Chasenic wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:52 pm I’ll be heading out tomorrow. There’s lots of current at father point. Someone went through last year. Gotta spud every step in the early season. My buddy checked quickly today and said 4ish inches of ice.
Awesome please provide an update!

Do you go on at Father Pt or the other launch?
I've always gone on at Father Pt never fished from the conservation area launch.
Chasenic
Participant
Participant

Post by Chasenic »

I use both, conservation launch typically is much safer because there is less current. They also started giving out warnings at the father point launch. So if you do go there be careful where you park. Closer to the main road the better.

As for ice conditions they are very sketchy right now. Anywhere from 4in to one spot I couldn’t even walk on >2in. So I would not recommend it. With the rain and snow coming I don’t think I’ll be out until again until January.
thebaron
Participant
Participant

Post by thebaron »

I usually park at the boat trailer parking when going to father Pt. Had the OPP come see me 4 times last year for a license check but never had any issues with parking.
thebaron
Participant
Participant

Post by thebaron »

Was out this evening, got on at Father Pt. Drilled probably 30 holes on my path. Nearly a foot of ice. Half black ice half white ice.

Saw a bunch of guys walk to the twin crabs island as well.

Pulled one walleye out of the ice, just a hair smaller than slot size.
Shlickster
Participant
Participant

Post by Shlickster »

As many would like to know....anyone out safely fishing on Mississippi Lake today?
If yes...how do the ice conditions look near your location? (ice thickness, depth etc...)

Thanks in advance!
S