Early August Salmon Charter - Gananoque

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
meteorbrews
Participant
Participant

Early August Salmon Charter - Gananoque

Post by meteorbrews »

Hi All,

I have a cottage rented around Gananoque for the second weekend in August and I'd like to find a salmon charter. Does anyone have any recommendations for the area, extra points for charters closer to Gan. From what reading I have done, it seems most charters are further west out of Wellington or Brighton?

I found Nickel's fishing charter (https://www.nickelsfishingcharters.com/). Has anyone used him before or have any reviews?

Thanks for your help!

Brad.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Early August Salmon Charter - Gananoque

Post by Corvus Lacus »

If you really want to consistently connect with Salmon at that time, you probably should be looking much further west.
Generally speaking, the majority of the Salmon move in a counter-clockwise migration around the lake. Starting with the Niagara area in spring. Late June/early July is typically prime time in the Wellington/Brighton area. However, by the time August rolls around most of the focus is to the west as fish start returning to their natal streams or stocking locations. Port Hope, Cobourg, Oshawa, Scarborough Bluffs are all ports that are active in mid summer. By mid August, most of the catches are coming from the Toronto Islands, Port Credit and Bronte. At this time of year, Salmon are already starting to stage out from their spawning streams, and frankly there aren't any Canadian tributaries east of Cobourg that receive substantial runs. They have been stocking Chinooks directly in Wellington with the hope of establishing an all summer long fishery, but it has had mixed success.

Yes, there are populations of Chinooks that hang around the eastern basin of Lake O all summer long...primarily ones that spawn in the Salmon and Oswego Rivers in NY.
From the Canadian side (Kingston) that usuallly means a run out to the Main Duck Islands...however that's very weather dependent and the results are hit and miss.

The other option is to hop across the bridge and fish the NY side. Lots of charter options in the Watertown and Pulaski area...August is prime time as the Salmon River receives a huge run of returning fish.

If you're not willing to travel that far, then just stay in Gan, and enjoy the great Bass and Pike fishing the St. Larry offers.

Just my 2 cents and experience...others may have different opinions...but wanted to give you a heads up before dropping a bunch of $$ on a charter in the east end that time of year.
The tug is the drug..
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

BTW, probably the top guide/charter out of the Kingston area of Lake O is Bob MacMillan. He fishes for Lake Trout, Walleye and Pike...I believe he thinks Salmon are just too inconsistent out of Kingston to offer the option to his clients. However, you may want to give him a call to see what his thoughts are...

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/
The tug is the drug..
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Good tips posted by CL. I spend most of my summer salmon fishing east of Toronto. For decent fishing if you want salmon I would travel west to the Cobourg or Port Hope area. I could recommend several experienced charters in that area, send me a pm if you want.

Additionally I have not announced it publicly yet (until now I guess) but I will be running part-time salmon charters starting this spring, as Fish-Hawk Charters, Fully licenced and insured fishing out of a 20 foot Starcraft Fishmaster.

Reasonable rates.... fully rigged boat for downrigging, steel line and planer board fishing.... snacks..... drinks.... GoPro video recording.... underwater video recording...

Feel free to pm or email for more information about my charters or I can give you contact info for a couple of my friend's charters.

boat Aug 3 c.jpg
boat Aug 3 c.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 648 times
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
meteorbrews
Participant
Participant

Post by meteorbrews »

Thanks for all the replies and good info, I appreciate it!

Brad.