Mississippi lake ice conditions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dking_fishing
Participant
Participant

Mississippi lake ice conditions

Post by dking_fishing »

Hey guys , heading out this Saturday for the day on Mississippi for the first time this season just wanted to see if anyone was out recently and how the ice is looking! Thanks in advance.
Chasenic
Participant
Participant

Re: Mississippi lake ice conditions

Post by Chasenic »

Haven’t been out in a while personally but there’s lots of safe ice now. Problem is the slush/top water heard it’s nasty out there right not. Hopefully this cold weather will lock it up.
Shlickster
Participant
Participant

Post by Shlickster »

Hoping to get out on the ice for a fish this coming weekend.

Has anyone been out on the ice this past week?
Perhaps you could give us all an update on ice conditions and how good the fishing has been thus far?

Cheers,
S
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

I was out there on Sunday morning. The ice was good, any slush on the surface had frozen solid. I didn't measure the thickness, but I'd say there was at least a foot, with more than half of it being good black ice.

Not sure how the warm weather and rain this week has affected it, but I think by Saturday it should be firmed back up. I would recommend ice cleats for getting around out there.

As for fishing it was slow. I marked lots of fish, but only ended up catching a single perch all morning. If I didn't have superbowl plans I would have stayed out there all day, the bite is usually best late afternoon until after sunset.
Shlickster
Participant
Participant

Post by Shlickster »

Good info...thank you for the update Fisherman89!

Anyone else been out? Would be good to hear from you and your day out on the ice.

The word is that it has been a bit of a slow fish thus far? I hope that I can get out today or Sunday...will post again later with results.

Cheers
S
Shlickster
Participant
Participant

Post by Shlickster »

Got out for the day this past Sunday from 9am to 7pm.
Caught many good sized perch an several pike.
Lots of action, decent fish in numbers but unfortunately no walleye to be had? Been a slow year for Walter's!

Oh well there's always next year!
S