Crappie Ice Fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
WalleyeWrangler12
Participant
Participant

Crappie Ice Fishing?

Post by WalleyeWrangler12 »

Hey there!

Been fishing for twenty five years.
Ice fishing for twenty.
NEVER caught a Crappie.
Not sure how that's possible but I'm hoping to change it this winter on the ice.

I just have no real clue where to target them.
Mississippi Lake I think I've heard has them, not sure where on the lake.
Just curious if anyone else knows of general locations I could try.

Not looking for your secret fishing coords.
I don't want to know any specific spots.
Just generally the water body or bay.

And hey, if not, no worries.
I'll be Crappie-less for another year, meh!
Ha!

Cheers,
WalleyeWrangler12
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Re: Crappie Ice Fishing?

Post by Fordpodolski »

I’ve only ever caught 1 crappie through the ice in the Ottawa area, and that’s been at Long Island in Manotick. Hope you can get some better help, and good luck!
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Bobs Lake has a good population of Crappie. Too good, in fact...over the last 10 years they've displaced a lot of the Walleye in the food chain. All good though...just as tasty and no season or slot limit. Best bite always seems to happen before dusk.

Last week the ice was really sketchy...but even in the best of winters, Bobs is notorious for dangerous ice. Currents and springs result in widely fluctuating ice thickness. A spud, picks, rope and a floater suit are highly recommended.

Closer to Ottawa...try any of the mouths of the little creeks that flow into the Rideau River around Kemptville. Same caution on the ice as above...the currents on the Rideau can be tricky.

Fishing through the ice can be very good, but the best time for Crappie on Bobs or the Rideau is early spring during the pre-spawn..ice out to mid-May.
Attachments
IMG_20210711_211046.jpg
IMG_20210711_211046.jpg (5 MiB) Viewed 1453 times
The tug is the drug..
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Try crappie bay on Petrie island east side of Ottawa.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

The Crappie bay at Petrie Island can be good, personally I find the fish aren't a great average size there...

I have a couple pretty secret crappie lakes that I can't give any information on, but a pretty well known lake that I always have decent luck at is Joe's Lake in Lanark county off of French Line road. Walk out into the middle of the lake and don't worry too much about being in the exact right spot since it's a pretty plain basin. Just fish where everyone else is fishing. I find the Crappie there prefer something a little more aggressive, so I use a small jigging spoon tipped with a small minnow head, but later in the winter there may be some sense in trying a smaller presentation like tungsten jigs if they are a little more finicky.

Let us know if you make it out there and if you have any success!

Tight lines
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

I have heard that the crappies in Joe's Lake caught during ice fishing are too small like really pan fish.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

It's true, they aren't a great size anymore. A couple years ago I feel like the average size was a bit higher, still not great but we'd always catch a couple of 11-12 inchers. I've only been to Joe's once this winter since I find it has too many folks fishing it and I prefer quieter days on the ice, and we caught a decent handful of crappies, but nothing over 10 inches. Still fun enough for someone who doesn't catch many crappie but after having opportunities to catch 12 inch crappie after 12 inch crappie, Joe's has lost its appeal to me, for crappie at least.