A Little Lake Simcoe Action!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Little Lake Simcoe Action!!

Post by JimW »

Lake Simcoe Adventure....

The last time I fishing Lake Simcoe was the winter of 2001.... 22 years ago.... I have been trying to make a trip for the last couple winters.... but heart surgery, covid, people cancelling... something always came up.

So the plan was set to go this past weekend to fish Saturday afternoon and Sunday.... so got my gear together and ready for my buddy to pick me up Saturday morning at 6 am well unfortunately my buddy got sick early Saturday morning.... puking his guts out. I think he was eating gas station sushi again. LOL

So I needed a plan B.... my Frabill hut and Taiga Dog together do not fit in my truck and my fishing partner had the trailer. So a little rearranging of plans and FB friend Richard offered to join me for the weekend and we would have his Taiga Dog for transportation.... so I loaded up my gear in my truck at hit the road mid-Saturday morning.

I met Richard at Casey's in Port Bolster and we loaded up the Taiga Dog and headed out onto the ice in search of whitefish. Since it was already mid-afternoon we hit a few different spots not too far from where we got on the ice, trying to avoid the crowds. Unfortunately we only found a few NOT jumbo perch for our efforts Saturday.

After fishing we loaded up our gear, grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed to Lagoon City Pier One Resort where we were staying the night, the resort offered a discount to anglers, which was great.

After a good, but not long enough sleep, we were on the road.... thanks to some advice from a couple FB friends and some Navionics map viewing Saturday night we were off to a different location Sunday morning with a solid game plan in our search for whitefish.

After a couple mile run on the Taiga Dog we reached our first spot.... my back still not great from my falls either this winter, so Richard was a great guy and let me drive the Taiga Dog which was easier on the back then being a passenger.

We fished our first spot for about 30 minutes with no fish and no fish on fishfinder.... so time to move. Finally we find a spot and mark a couple fish, but no interest in our baits. So I put the Aqua-Vu camera down for a bit and not long after we mark a couple other fish on the fishfinder and then see them on the camera.... whitefish!!! We found a spot, now we just need to catch some.

We fished that spot for the next several hours regularly marking fish, I used a couple different lures and I lost a couple fish, but Richard had the "hot stick" of the day landing 2 nice whitefish 24-25" long. Awesome job!! All bites and landed fish can on Meegs lures jig with a tube tail and a little Liquid Mayhem for a little extra something.

No whitefish on the ice for me, but a great little trip...great weather.... great company.........I will hopefully be back to Simcoe with the boat in May.

Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Little Lake Simcoe Action!!

Post by JimW »

And the end results of a fun weekend....

Lake Simcoe Whitefish with Outdoor Flavours Cajun Seasoning.

Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Love the report Jim!! Looks like a good meal!

I heard they are amazing smoked as well...but never caught any yet to find out!

R
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Corvus Lacus »

IMO...Hot smoked is the only way to do Whities..
The tug is the drug..
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Corvus Lacus wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:56 pm IMO...Hot smoked is the only way to do Whities..
SOLD!! Now I gotta go catch me some...There's not many places close to Ottawa with whities :?