Fishing "Related" road trip!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Hit the road solo Friday morning around 5:30 am and headed towards Southwestern Ontario.... lots of rain on the way down, but not too bad a drive.

First Stop was Woodstock to pick up a couple boxes of herring for salmon fishing.... 40 pounds should last me a bit. Not wanting the salmon to have all the fish, I also picked up some smoked herring as well.
FH herring.jpg
FH herring.jpg (193.98 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
After grabbing the herring it was back east to Cambridge for a quick stop to drop off a rod and reel that Fish-Hawk.net donated in the Youth division in a recent Back Water Fishing League tournament.

Back on the road again I headed for the Toronto Sportsmen's Show arriving in the afternoon.

This is the second year of the show under new ownership and the second one since couple years of cancellations due to covid. Last year the show was a little small but still good, this year the show seemed much bigger, and with very little "not outdoors" related booths.... IMO this was the best Toronto Sportsmen's Show in many, many year, definitely worth the price of admission. I wish I have planned to stay longer.

There was a good mix of....
several larger retailers including.... Tackle Depot Canada ..... JB'S Fishing Depot.... Radioworld.....
FH tackle depot.jpg
FH tackle depot.jpg (191.41 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
FH JB Depot.jpg
FH JB Depot.jpg (264.27 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
larger manufacturers and distributors.... Streamside.... Gibbs Fishing .... Garmin... Scotty Fishing Products...
FH streamside 2.jpg
FH streamside 2.jpg (197.79 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
FH Gibbs.jpg
FH Gibbs.jpg (158 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
smaller manufacturers and retailers .... Outdoor Flavours..... BlackFly Lures.... Wing's Live Bait & Tackle.... The Sugar addict....
FH blackfly.jpg
FH blackfly.jpg (347.56 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
FH Outdoor Flavours.jpg
FH Outdoor Flavours.jpg (341.47 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Plus many more fishing related companies along with some boats. lots of atvs, truck top campers and tents, lodges..... demonstrations, lots of presenters..... and there were some good deals to be had if you were looking to buy.

If someone is looking to buy me a birthday present...
FH Argo.jpg
FH Argo.jpg (173.97 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
I did not buy a lot mainly a few salmon flashers and spoons that Gibbs Fishing was selling for great prices... so great I messaged a friend at the show Saturday to buy me 12 more flashers. lol

I also stocked up on some more Outdoor Flavours coating....cooked up some perch and smelt tonight.
FH smelt Outdoor.jpg
FH smelt Outdoor.jpg (257.17 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
I did not attend any of the seminars but there was as nice variety of talks going on.... I just wandered around checking out the displays and visiting, great to see and talk to a bunch of fellow anglers.... Greg Amiel, Jeff Chisholm, Richard Elliott, James Meger, Rob Henry, Kevin McPhee....

It was also great to meet Jeff and Merdith owners of The Sugar Addict and NEW owners of Magz Mfg. a great couple, looking forward to working with them this year as brand ambassador, they are manufacturing and selling some quality hunting and fishing products.... watch for more information on Fish-Hawk.net.
FH Sugar add.jpg
FH Sugar add.jpg (223.24 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
I did check out a few fishing lodges and speckled, rainbow and lake trout fishing at Blue Fox Camp & Outpost in the Algoma region looks like a potential future trip.

While I was walking around I came across Brutus, the ultimate storm chasing truck used in the show Tornado Watch and had a chat with storm chaser Ricky Forbes.
FH tornado watch truck.jpg
FH tornado watch truck.jpg (159.66 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
FH tornado watch selfie.jpg
FH tornado watch selfie.jpg (253.15 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Lots of different brands of atv and pick up bed trailers and tents... I would love to get one for my pickup truck, so I have a place to sleep and can still tow my boat.
FH truck tent 2.jpg
FH truck tent 2.jpg (133.19 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
I left the show around 6 pm and made a quick stop to Gagnon Sports on the way home to pick up a few things. They had a great sale on ice fishing gear 30% off, and they still had a great selection of quality ice rods and reels.

The show is goes until Sunday at 5 pm, so if you are looking to do something tomorrow head to the Toronto Sportsman's Show!!!
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing