Lake Ontario Action!! Round 2

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lake Ontario Action!! Round 2

Post by JimW »

This past Saturday my plan was to cut the grass and do a couple things on my boat.... until I got a message Friday evening asking if I wanted to fish Lake Ontario Saturday morning....... heck ya!!! The grass was not going anywhere. LOL

So left the house around 2 am Saturday morning and met up with Kevin, Connor and Don to join them on Don's boat the "Riggers Reward" a beautiful 30 foot Pursuit with twin 300 Yammies and all the bells and whistles.
Riggers Reward.jpg
Riggers Reward.jpg (170.89 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
trolling.jpg
trolling.jpg (128.15 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
After loading a few things in the boat we were off in search of silver. It did not take us long and we had our first "Ontario steelhead" in the boat Connor's first and a dandy to boot. We continued with not stop steelhead action throughout the morning.

Changing depths, lures and location as the morning went on in search of some salmon. Unfortunately no salmon visited the boat on Saturday..... but the steelhead kept us busy and it was a great day on the water.

If Mother Nature cooperates back out this weekend on Lake Ontario in search of silver!!!
rainbow.jpg
rainbow.jpg (271.3 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
double rainbows.jpg
double rainbows.jpg (338.93 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
rainbows.jpg
rainbows.jpg (301.91 KiB) Viewed 2275 times
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lake Ontario Action!!

Post by smitty55 »

OMG get the smoker going.
Smitty

Straight shooter
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lake Ontario Action!! Round 2

Post by JimW »

It's not a fishing trip unless I hit something on the road on the way.

I hit the road at 1:45 am last Sunday morning to pick up my fishing partners Bob and Jody to head to Lake Ontario to search for salmon. Driving down hwy 15 in the dark just after maneuvering around a dead beaver in the middle of my lane coming around a corner with a car coming towards me the vehicle lights shine on some large but not very high object taking up most of my lane, with not a lot of time to react and a car in the other lane I slow down as much as I could and swerve to the right but I still end up running over the object with my front driver's side tire. Strangely neither my rear truck or trailer tire hit the object.... and in my mirrors I do not see anything behind me...... I have no idea what I hit or where it went but everything seems fine.
I continue driving but hear this weird noise as I start to drive away, so I pull over on the shoulder and notice a bit of smoke coming out from under the front of the truck :( ....so I get out look around the driver's side.... nothing... walk back to the boat.... nothing.... walk around to the passenger side of the truck.... and there is the mystery object I hit stuck under my truck..... a now deflated double sized air mattress.

I get the air mattress unstuck from under the truck and continue on my way, I pick up my fishing partners and we make it to Lake Ontario launch the StarCraft Fishmaster and head out in search of silver.

Not long into trolling.... FISH ON!!!! not the target species but we land a nice Atlantic salmon, after a quick measurement it is released to be caught another day. Not long after we get into some rainbow trout action and then things die off we catch out deeper and get a could hits but not much going on.... so Plan B.... last weekend we I was out we marked a lot of bait and fish in a spot but that was in the afternoon and the fish were not very active.... so will almost glass calm conditions we reel in our lines and make a short 28 mile run in the boat to new waters.
rainbow.jpg
rainbow.jpg (220.26 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
calm waters.jpg
calm waters.jpg (118.53 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

At our new spot we mark huge schools of bait in shallow so we set up and start trolling in 50-60 feet working our way out to 80-90 feet.... and then FISH ON!!!! Not a big fish but the first Chinook salmon in the boat of the year!!! We continue working the area running a mix of spoons, flasher/fly combos and flasher/twinkie rig combos for the next couple hours catching several chinook salmon, one decent one and had a bunch more fish hits.
All in all a good day on the water and the salmon fishing will only get better!!!
king 1.jpg
king 1.jpg (562.61 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
king 2.jpg
king 2.jpg (205.89 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing