Walleye fishing Sunday July 16th

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Walleye fishing Sunday July 16th

Post by JimW »

Well after a great day guiding for Lake Ontario salmon last Friday, then a terrible bass tournament on Saturday... I headed to SW Ontario to visit my parents and do a little walleye fishing on Lake Erie with my dad, my high school buddy and his son.

My buddy keeps his boat docked on Eire, so easy for me.... no boat, no fishing gear needed.

The plan was to fish Sunday morning and hopefully catch a few walleye before the winds picked up Sunday afternoon. So we headed out from the marina at 6 am and quickly realized the weather person was wrong and there was already a good chop on the water. We continued out to 52 feet of water and set up our trolling spread.... downriggers, braid dipsey divers and 4 and 5 colour leadcore setups running a variety of spoons and Ripplin' Redfins.

FH okuma convectors.jpg
FH okuma convectors.jpg (221.86 KiB) Viewed 1659 times

As is standard we get our first walleye as well are pulling lines out.... a small 14" fish that was quickly released.... we continue to catch a mixed of keeper and smaller walleye as we troll out to 62 feet of water. We were getting more fish in the shallower water so we tried to turn and fish our way back towards 50 feet, but the waves were making fishing and boat control difficult at best. So we reeled in our lines drove back into 50 feet of water and continued fishing for another hour or so.

FH cole walleye.jpg
FH cole walleye.jpg (186.5 KiB) Viewed 1659 times

After about 4 hours of fishing we had our 4 person limit of walleye plus released a bunch of smaller ones, as well as lost a few fish at the back of the boat, we do not use a net unless it is a big walleye or rainbow trout and just flip the fish in the boat, so we lose some fish.
A fun, bumpy and successful morning fishing with my dad and good friends with some great meals to look forward to.

Too busy setting lines, reeling in fish and fighting waves for many photos but here are a couple.

FH dad and me walleye.jpg
FH dad and me walleye.jpg (229.98 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
FH Erie walleye.jpg
FH Erie walleye.jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Mav
Participant
Participant

Re: Walleye fishing Sunday July 16th

Post by Mav »

Walleye looks delicious Jim!! When will you be releasing the fish-hawk cooking videos??