opeongo algonquin labour day

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

opeongo algonquin labour day

Post by pickereye chaser »

Has anyone been on Lake Opeongo recently? Curious if anyone can share current or typical knowledge of depth of lakers early September. We are heading there for a camp and fish over Labour Day.

We fished it for the first time in early July and went 2/6 - landed two 2-3 lb lakers on a very hot and calm morning. I was surprised at how we found them only 18 feet down in early July over 45 to 70' of water. I am thinking we will be aiming for 35 to 50' down. We will have a variety of manual riggers, dipsy, snap weights and leadcore.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: opeongo algonquin labour day

Post by smitty55 »

First thing I do even when going to a lake I know is to find the depth of 50° water and start from there. Things might be a bit different if the thermocline has broken up though by Labour Day.
Smitty

Straight shooter
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

We canoe fish.

We used snap weights, 2-3 oz, toss back 50 ft, clip on weight, let out 50-80 ft with a little cleo. Start paddling and tada. We were just trolling to the destination so not targeting specific locations. I suspect its because we cover water travelling from place to place. I assume we're down 40-50 ft given the line thats out. I've seen lakers up top too but less so.

Works on other lakes up there too...
On other back lakes, same techique except you drop the weight to the bottom to be sure and then turn a couple cranks and start paddling

good luck
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

smitty55 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm First thing I do even when going to a lake I know is to find the depth of 50° water and start from there. Things might be a bit different if the thermocline has broken up though by Labour Day.
I saw some temperature probes on Amazon with several feet of wire then a display unit. Is that how you find the temperature at depth, inexpensively?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

pickereye chaser wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:33 am
smitty55 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm First thing I do even when going to a lake I know is to find the depth of 50° water and start from there. Things might be a bit different if the thermocline has broken up though by Labour Day.
I saw some temperature probes on Amazon with several feet of wire then a display unit. Is that how you find the temperature at depth, inexpensively?
Actually even cheaper lol. I still have one of those old vintage Depth O Plug devices. You drop it down, let it sit for a minute and then reel it up. It shows depth and water temp. It's fairly accurate too, I've checked it for depth with a line counter reel.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/295852739254
Smitty

Straight shooter
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

We ended up getting into a few. They weren't all that deep labour day. 25-30' down or so.