Electronics with Mega DI/SI GPS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Electronics with Mega DI/SI GPS

Post by Still Chasing »

I have been using my Humminbird Helix 7 now for about 3 years. Almost every video on youtube indicates that you should only stop and fish the area when you see fish on your graph. The problem for me is that rarely do I see a ball of baitfish or a school of fish on my graph. I fish mostly between Ottawa and Brockville. When I see a transition area like weed//rock or a drop off and or a hump I will fish that spot. I usually do pretty well .I am trying to figure out why I don't see more fish on my graph. I have see up my finder using the settings that these videos suggest. I fish anywhere between 5 and 40 feet of water. I wonder if everyone's experience is similar to mine. Thank you.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Electronics with Mega DI/SI GPS

Post by Corvus Lacus »

I have the same unit on my bow mount TM. Sometimes I see fish, sometimes I don't. Very often if their bellies are on the bottom, it's very difficult to distinguish them from the rest of the clutter. Also, the coverage from the angle of the "cone" in shallower water is not very large.
If I do mark fish, I will often play with the sensitivity settings to get the most defined "arches"....then that way moving forward I'm more confident in what I'm looking at.
I never use Fish ID. And yes, even if don't mark fish, I'll still fish the area if it looks fishy. I'm using it more to find structure, weedlines, changes in bottom composition, etc than actual fish.
The tug is the drug..
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Re: Electronics with Mega DI/SI GPS

Post by Still Chasing »

Thank You Corvus