Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

Post by CCLad »

Papaclaude wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:34 pm Are there any crappie or bluegills on Shirley's or Constance Bays? I'm looking for a spot other than Petrie - too many people there keeping every single thing they catch - drives me nuts and doesn't help the fishery. Hard to teach the grandkids to respect the resource when you see guys tossing 2" sunfish in their creels.

I had a friend (who I haven't seen in quite a while) that used to fish crappie in the west side if the causeway in a canoe. I did indeed see the the fish he caught so yes, there are crappie in there. I have ever only caught 1 and it was on a crank bait trolling for walleye. Ive been fishing there for a looonnnggg time...
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I always get a good chuckle from this one [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTBkICWIO8[/youtube]
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

smitty55 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 pm I always get a good chuckle from this one [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTBkICWIO8[/youtube]
Hey Smitty, hope you are doing well!
Maybe that video clip can explain the number of rods we've lost in the hut - (getting pulled down the hole before you could put a finger on it) over the year's lol.
We now have anchored clips we put on rods when we are in the "Aprea-Fish position" (beverage consumption) and not jigging.
Stevielad9
Participant
Participant

Post by Stevielad9 »

Ice is good at Buckhams.. good 7 inches of black. Caught 9 last night with good variety. . Perch, pike and Walleye were all biting. Had a great breakfast !
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thats great to hear Stevielad thx for posting. Maybe we will be out there sooner rather than later. Will be cold over night every night going forward now
Stevielad9
Participant
Participant

Post by Stevielad9 »

Anytime! Agreed. Shirley's is the best for a post work Walleye fish. Not sure we will getting out super deep anytime soon, but maybe out a little shallower in the next week or two.

Cheers
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:24 am
smitty55 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 pm I always get a good chuckle from this one [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTBkICWIO8[/youtube]
Hey Smitty, hope you are doing well!
Maybe that video clip can explain the number of rods we've lost in the hut - (getting pulled down the hole before you could put a finger on it) over the year's lol.
We now have anchored clips we put on rods when we are in the "Aprea-Fish position" (beverage consumption) and not jigging.
Lol I hear you Tim. Buddy's of mine that had shacks would staple a good length of hanger to the shack wall in a way that it acted like a spring with a slight bend at the tip to support a slip knot on their line and have the bail open in case of hard hits while not always paying attention lol. It had a bell clamped on it and was plenty flexible enough so that you could easily see the minnow action and when a fish hit the loop would pop off the hanger and the bell would ring. It worked real good.
Btw, did you happen to talk to the NCC about moving the boulders this year?
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

No I have not. When I spoke to them last year they said that it was now a part of the annual maintenance contract for the parking lot. can anyone verify if the boulders have been moved?

For those of you who dont know what we are talking about -

There is a couple rows of large boulders that make up the access point/launch to the river. The NCC has been moving a couple boulders towards the parking end to allow for more access points....

Can anyone on here verify?
Riotralph
Participant
Participant

Post by Riotralph »

Anyone out over the weekend that can provide an update on the ice conditions they observed?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

My hut buddy made it down to the bay today. I am a little surprised to see that the river is frozen all the way across, but with that said, the ice is further ahead than what I thought!

I can see by the picture that the boulders in the launch have been moved again by the NCC you can see tire tracks exiting the ramp on the west side in the pic asn it looks like they opened access to the eastside of the ramp as well. We are supposed to get hammered this weekend with more snow (hope the forecast changes!) but I'll try to get down with the auger and punch a few holes to check the ice.
SBay Jan 9 2024.jpg
SBay Jan 9 2024.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Riotralph
Participant
Participant

Post by Riotralph »

Thanks, Tim.

Cheers
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I'll try to head down to the bay Sat and punch some holes and post the findings. Anyone beats me to it, let us know.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Awesome thanks Tim! With the cold weather next week should be finally able to get out there!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Sorry folks, I got tied up yesterday and didnt get a chance to check the ice....
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Went to check it out this afternoon. There was a permanent hut about maybe 30 feet offshore, and 2 other groups another decent ways out.
Attachments
IMG_0765.jpeg
IMG_0765.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2117 times