Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MVRKSMVN50
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

Post by MVRKSMVN50 »

Mav wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:39 pm Hey!

I went out to check the ice Sunday. 300M out from the ramp there is a solid 9-10"...but further than that the ice hasn't grown much surprisingly. Still about the same as MVRKSMVN50's report. I would be cautious about going too far unless you know where you're going, and you keep it light. Be safe out there folks!!
Funny you say that, I was out Sunday and logged on to say the same thing. I went out pretty far Sunday and was fishing a little deeper than my last time being out. There was a pressure crack that went from shore to as far as I could see across the river. My buddy and I were about 200 yds away the farthest tent and finally found some luck. 7 fish in total from 2:00-8:00pm, 3 sauger, 3 walleye (biggest being around 19") and a nice 3-4 pound Burbot.

I would definitely use caution if going out farther as the ice thickness definitely varies. I augered one hole with barely 4" of ice about 15ft from where we were set up (6" of black ice). The pressure crack in some places was letting water through that made the snow around it into some brutal slush.

I might make it out again tomorrow and will hopefully get on some fish again. Will update if anything significant happens.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Thanks for the report @mvrksmvn50

Yeah, under the snow drifts and in the slush spots are the worst.
Riotralph
Participant
Participant

Post by Riotralph »

If anyone is out today, I'd love to hear about top-ice conditions. Slushy, water, etc.?
Jupitercookson
Participant
Participant

Re: white lake ice conditions

Post by Jupitercookson »

Any one know ice conditions for white lake?in Arnprior.
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

Won't be out today, but good luck to any who get out there.

I've been out twice before things got wet, fairly typical, half decent bite around sundown =)

Question for those night owls - I'm curious if you even have any sustained action after dark? PM me if you'd rather, I've just never fished much outside of the sunset hours and curious how some do later on?

Cheers and lets all hope things firm back up soon!!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

The Captain wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:40 am Won't be out today, but good luck to any who get out there.

I've been out twice before things got wet, fairly typical, half decent bite around sundown =)

Question for those night owls - I'm curious if you even have any sustained action after dark? PM me if you'd rather, I've just never fished much outside of the sunset hours and curious how some do later on?

Cheers and lets all hope things firm back up soon!!
Always stayed till at least 7 if not later if it was nice out. Things do slow down after that initial run at dusk but average size was better as scattered fish come through into the bay. Ling action picked up too.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Riotralph
Participant
Participant

Post by Riotralph »

Was out yesterday afternoon and evening., Multi-species (perch, walleye, sauger ling) night, got out to where we wanted and about 4-5" of good ice with 3-4" slush and crust on top.

We really need a decent cold snapl to firm things up.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I was also out yesterday from 4pm-545, out to the left of the second farthest shack out. One group was very far out.

One 14 inch walleye on the deadstick with a minnow and lost another on dinner bell and minnow head. About 6 inches of top water so bring rubber boots if you go. Not as many shacks out as usual.

If anyone ever wants company minnows are on me. I live nearby but don't have many friends who ice fish.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Hey Lenny, I'm guessing the hut you were referring to is ours (in the direction of the causeway - only set up there because we got stuck in a pile of slush and a foot of water towing it out) If you see us at the hut stop by and say hi - We socialize up until fishing time sets in then its business :D

As for fishing, I have only made it out once last Sat. We ended up with 8 walleye and 3 perch. Every walleye was around 13 inches and about 1lbs. 8 twins. My fishing partner went out 2 more times since and has picked up 9 more. Again all kinda on the small side with the biggest being a could pounds.
Cheers CCLad.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Nice those are great numbers! Now that the ice is a little more solid and slush is frozen I plan on making the trek out farther this weekend.
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

Smitty thanks for the feedback! Lenny I’ll let you know for sure if I’m heading out solo at all! Glad to hear some fish are being caught - and yeah - most importantly let’s hope for a cold snap!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

The Captain wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:15 pm Smitty thanks for the feedback! Lenny I’ll let you know for sure if I’m heading out solo at all! Glad to hear some fish are being caught - and yeah - most importantly let’s hope for a cold snap!
No problem Cap.I could never understand why so many folks were leaving the ice right at prime time because I guess they figured they had to be home for dinner, it makes zero sense to spend hours out there and then leave at by far the best time of the day for Walleye. By dark you could see lights at a dozen shacks. Specially on weekends when there'd be up to a couple hundred folks out there and plenty of kids. Back then most winters there'd be at least 80 permanent shacks and a couple of concentrations in different areas. There'd be 3 or 4 different roads for different areas. They'd often have rinks made for the kids too. There use to be some good size derbies too. Serge would show up with minnows.
You could almost set your watch by the time of the evening run where we were come January, so mid week we'd often show up at 4:00 or even later with plenty of time left for the run to start. It was like someone flipped a switch just as the sunset hit the horizon. Fresh minnows if needed on the set lines. No more kids running around playing, time to focus for the magic hour as I called it. On weekends when I brought the kids out we'd go earlier for the pike and perch afternoon action too and make sure to bring snacks for them because they knew we'd never be home for normal dinner time, not a chance.
Quick story, I recall one time in the early 80's I was out with just the old lady before kids and we stayed out till well after 9:00 one beauty evening. It was late, things were kind of quiet and then I got a light tap on a set line with a two way spreader on it. I set the hook and it had lots of weight so I was real careful bringing it in. Turned out it was a 5lb ling and not knowing any better at the time I released it. 5 minutes later I get another tap and again set the hook into more real good weight. Figuring it was another Ling I just hauled away without a care and it turned out to be a 26" Pickerel, my biggest of the year out there. So you never know, usually the Pickerel slow down once the bigger Ling show up but obviously the larger ones don't care. Depends where you are in the bay as well. Out in the current the action starts earlier as the fish move into the bay and then scatter more. Probably not enough ice out there to fish much current yet from the reports here. Where we used to fish the ice was always a good 6" behind the ice in the bay proper so we always had to wait until there was at least 14" of good black ice before we could drive that far out. Before then we would park on good ice out of the current and just walk out the rest of the way until we knew there was enough to drive on.
Good luck out there, cheers.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Great stories and thanks so much for the insights Smitty!!! "Magic hour" is def the time when they hit. I've had good success with burbot much later after sunset.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Agreed thanks Smitty that was a good read. Going to make the trek out far this weekend if it isn't too cold. Bites came between 520-530 for me. I rarely stay out late enough for ling as I don't have a shack and it sure gets cold out there once the sun sets!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Lenny wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm Agreed thanks Smitty that was a good read. Going to make the trek out far this weekend if it isn't too cold. Bites came between 520-530 for me. I rarely stay out late enough for ling as I don't have a shack and it sure gets cold out there once the sun sets!
I spent by far most of my many many years out at Shirley's in the open, but some of it sitting in the truck and for a few years I had a home made portable folding shack made of plywood and plastic. Back then I used those metal hand warmers with the solid fuel stick and after dark we always had a Coleman lantern going that was great for warming up freezing wet fingers. I always wore down parka and down mitts and Sorel pack boots with wool socks so handling the cold wasn't too bad for the most part, not really much different than fishing back lakes for trout where we had no shelters at all but sometimes a shoreline fire. It's much easier now with those hand and foot warmers to keep toes and fingers warm. I'll be damned if I'm going to let cold temps keep me from fishing when I can dress for it. Now heavy winds are a different story but at least after dark they usually die down.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter