Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

Post by Fisherman89 »

I was out the today from 4:00 to 6:30.

Didn't get out as far as I would have liked. Was around 350m from the launch.
PXL_20240114_220645734.jpg
PXL_20240114_220645734.jpg (5.6 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
There was about 5.5" of good clear ice out there.
PXL_20240114_211637360.jpg
PXL_20240114_211637360.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
Didn't have much action. I caught a few perch and one 12" walleye.
PXL_20240114_230751066.jpg
PXL_20240114_230751066.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Thanks so much for this report. I'm surprised at how little ice there is that close in, I would have expected a bit more...Looks like next weekend will be the week for shacks. What a lousy start to the ice fishing season :(
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for the ice report! Bad year so far....
:angry-banghead:
heystripes
Participant
Participant

Post by heystripes »

I hear lots of regular folks complaining about the colder temps coming and all I can think is "yessss more of that please!"
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

Great job Fisherman!

How was the slush situation after all that snow?

Agreed I’m hoping it all freezes up hard this week!
MVRKSMVN50
Participant
Participant

Post by MVRKSMVN50 »

Thanks for the info!

Thinking about trying my luck tomorrow, hoping to get on some fish. Also hoping the slush situation isn't like what it was early season last year.

Last year was my first on Shirley's and I almost exclusively fished to the right of the ramp with some success. With the ice conditions being what they are, I've got a feeling ill be trying either straight out from the ramp, or to the left side tomorrow.

Does anyone find luck in the shallower water (5'-7'), even if its mostly perch? Curious to know if it's worth trying or if its better to fish the 7'-8' for the time being?
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

The Captain wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:03 pm How was the slush situation after all that snow?
I was surprised, there wasn't any slush on Sunday. There were some deeper snow drifts followed by sections of bare ice due to the high wind gusts.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

, I've got a feeling ill be trying either straight out from the ramp, or to the left side tomorrow.

Does anyone find luck in the shallower water (5'-7'), even if its mostly perch? Curious to know if it's worth trying or if its better to fish the 7'-8' for the time being?
[/quote]

I would recommend you fish the deeper water (of course safty first!!!) I have only fished shallow a few times, not by choice and have not done very well. Last hour and a half of light into the about the same of darkness is by far the most active time frame for walleye/sauger at the bay

If you do make it out, please post the ice thickness (and results :) ) These cold temps should have it thickening quickly.
Thx CCLad.
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

Thanks for the surface condition update! That's incredible.

I made the mistake of trying a small lake in the valley Sunday morning. Could walk about 100ft at a time then had to stop the slush/snow was so bad. The wind must have really kept thinks swept off on the bay in places - that's VERY encouraging combined with a cold week this week - especially after January last year for anyone who dealt with that crap!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:43 am , I've got a feeling ill be trying either straight out from the ramp, or to the left side tomorrow.

Thx CCLad.
[/quote]

Tim Check you pm.
Smitty

Straight shooter
MVRKSMVN50
Participant
Participant

Post by MVRKSMVN50 »

Just got back from the bay and conditions seemed to be pretty decent with all things considered.

Surprisingly I got out to about 500-600yds from shore in 10.6 feet of water and fished from 3:00-8:00. Ice seemed pretty consistent everywhere I checked with roughly 6" of clear black ice (I didn't check ice deeper than around 10.8'). No slush on the bay which was also a pleasant surprise just a lot of snow drifts.

Fishing was definitely interesting, I took a buddy of mine who has never been ice fishing out today and of course he caught all the fish while I got skunked (beginners luck I guess). Pretty slow day but he caught a perch almost immediately at 3:00 and then a surprise mud puppy and a small burbot at 6:30. Missed a couple of bites on the dead-stick but the ticket seemed to be a Frostbite DinnerBell tipped with a minnow head from Serge.

Didn't seem to see much movement on the sonar all night but Im hoping that will change when I can get onto some deeper water maybe this weekend thanks to the upcoming weather forecasts.

Overall, seems like I can finally start my ice season, just need to get on some fish.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Very happy to hear that the bay is ready! We will be putting our hut out next weekend. Cant wait. Thx to everyone for sharing the info... Really helps.

Love this website :) and smitty will do, havent logged in until today....
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Hey Smitty, thx for the message. Funny you bring that spot up. I used to put up a tent and camp on haycock island when I was a MUCH younger guy lol. We would fish the "greenside" for gars and fish of the point you are talking about on the other side... Good times and great memory's!
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

Planning to head out tonight - will be travelling solo so likely zipped up in my eskimo tent but hope to see some activity and maybe a few fish on the bay! Good luck this weekend to anyone else heading out
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Hey!

I went out to check the ice Sunday. 300M out from the ramp there is a solid 9-10"...but further than that the ice hasn't grown much surprisingly. Still about the same as MVRKSMVN50's report. I would be cautious about going too far unless you know where you're going, and you keep it light. Be safe out there folks!!