Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2024 Ice season

Post by CCLad »

We managed to get the hut out to where we are looking to fish last weekend but had a pretty slow day anyways. Ended up with 3 walleye and a couple perch. 1 eye was probably a little over 3lbs though, nice fish. She went back into the river, belly looked like it was full of roe. Talking with a couple other groups that were out at the same time and it just seemed to be kind of a slow day at the bay....

That all said, just a heads up. If you haven't caught the upcoming weather forecast - THEY are calling for plus 5 Fri with rain! Only calling for 1 mm of rain but That eats ice!

Be safe CCLad.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

I maintain that if CClad isn't catching then nobody else is!!!

Yeah this season has been so bad for the weather. It seems after this Friday warm weather, things get back to a more normal cold average for this time of year. Hoping that's what happens!!

Mav
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

LOL easy Mav, we got a few :)

We are going to fish today after work and then haul the shack into thicker ice...
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:49 am LOL easy Mav, we got a few :)

We are going to fish today after work and then haul the shack into thicker ice...
Hey Tim, did you manage to get into any current at all.
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Yes and no Smitty. We are past the mouth of the causeway but are set up in around 9 feet of water, around 300 yards off shore. There is current where we are, but it's not moving as much as it would be, if we moved out a little further to the north/east. Not going to play that game as we are set up on about 4-5 inches of white ice on top of 4 or so of clear stuff. Given the up coming weather forecast, we are going to pull it back into the front of the launch area (we didn't move the hut back in yesterday as planned because we decided that post fishing - hitting the keg for dinner was a better idea :D . ) We are going to tow it in after work today. Ended up with 7 yesterday and 2 were nice sized walleye. 1 fat female about 3lbs (she went back in) and about a 2lbs male that ended up going home with my buddy for a future breakfast.

That all said, had a visit from a warden yesterday, was quite surprised as there aren't many huts, or even people fishing this season and we are pretty much not visible from the parking lot. Any ways the officer was a nice guy and actually remembered us from a check last season. We had all of our stuff in order and there were no issues. There was a guy set up about 100 yards further out then us and he had 9 tip ups set up! So the warden shows up at our hut and knocks and I'm like, man am I glad to see you, timing is everything! I point out the guys set up and mention if he is not an indigenous person, he's (or she) is cheating! The warden says, ill come back and check you guys in a bit. Off he goes... Any who, he was indigenous and was allowed to have the 9 tip ups... - The guy walks all the way across the river from Aylmer to fish there!!! :shock: Given the ice this year and the shoals that are out there, you wouldn't catch me trying that LOL!
Cheers CCLad!
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

@CClad WOW! All the way across from Aylmer?!!!

I think I meet the warden every-year at Shirleys LOL...we're on a first-name basis.

Anyway, once things get a bit colder next week you should be back out there. I'd like to get further out too...

M
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:25 am - The guy walks all the way across the river from Aylmer to fish there!!! :shock: Given the ice this year and the shoals that are out there, you wouldn't catch me trying that LOL! Cheers CCLad!
Same thing happened to us one time. We were out pretty far in strong current one afternoon and we see this guy walking across the river from Aylmer. He came over and had a beer in his hand and another in his pocket and was puffing on a joint. We chatted for a while and then he turned around and started walking back. We had lots of ice so it was no big deal other than he walked that far but as you say with ice conditions now that's not a smart move.
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Mav wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:45 pm @CClad WOW! All the way across from Aylmer?!!!

I think I meet the warden every-year at Shirleys LOL...we're on a first-name basis.

Anyway, once things get a bit colder next week you should be back out there. I'd like to get further out too...

M
Hey Mav - We will be moving out ASAP! If we end up out on the ice at the same time ping me and we can meet and I can show you the ski idea for your hut.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

CCLad wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:32 am
Mav wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:45 pm @CClad WOW! All the way across from Aylmer?!!!

M
Hey Mav - We will be moving out ASAP! If we end up out on the ice at the same time ping me and we can meet and I can show you the ski idea for your hut.
Perfect!!
Defender86
Participant
Participant

Post by Defender86 »

Was my second time fishing shirley's bay, walked out on Friday evening far right of the bay, caught 2 Walleye, 2 Sauger and 2 Ling from 3:30 to 7:30 in 10ft of water until the storm started. Hopefully we get a good freeze this week.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Looks like the temps are going to great for making ice the next several days. Not sure when we will make it back out but I will post ice reports when I do. Anyone beats me to share the findings1 I want to get back OUT there!
Defender86
Participant
Participant

Post by Defender86 »

Went out last night to check the ice on far right side was approx 10-12” was more ice then last week.
Dustin
Participant
Participant

Post by Dustin »

pb walleye by weight
pb walleye by weight
Messenger_creation_d384d005-9c28-48af-96d3-5feac82d8f86.jpeg (186.53 KiB) Viewed 953 times
pb sauger
pb sauger
Messenger_creation_4be33ef8-8be1-48c6-bcd0-4c23f153133c.jpeg (145.5 KiB) Viewed 953 times
pb walleye by length
pb walleye by length
IMG-20240204-WA0007.jpg (302.04 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Huge shout out to CCLad for putting me on the fish. A couple of personal best walleye, and a pb sauger, one caught at each of 3 outings (and in mid-February to boot). All of these beautiful fish were released to continue to make babies and keep this fishery healthy. : )
"That's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'"
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

It's been great to meet you guys Dustin! We moved the hut out on sat. Sat I fished with my youngest son. We had a great time. we ended up with 5 walleye and 6 perch. My son pulled one up that was around 5 - 6 lbs. she made it onto the ice but managed to work her way back down the whole so no pic... Yesterday was great! My buddy and I ended up with 12 walleye and I literally lost count of the perch, between 20 - 30 anyways. They were so aggressive that I wasn't even setting my hook when they bit because I was sick of loosing minnows to them. I was just lifting my line up by hand instead of reeling, with no hook set, and the perch would hang onto the minnow until I lifted them out of the water! Of the walleye the biggest was around 2.5lbs but pretty much every other one was between a pound to a pound and a half. Nice healthy looking fish! I think we are going to give it a go tomorrow after work.

See you out there!
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Nice fish Dustin! Looks like the bite is heating up! I'm planning to get out there Thursday and/or Friday after work, hopefully it won't be too sloppy with the warm weather and rain...