Buying dead shiners

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Buying dead shiners

Post by John Zach »

Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out if there are any live bait sellers in the area who get rid off their dead shiners for cheap, as I’d like to salt some minnows. With a dozen medium shiners going for $15 most places, I’m looking to capitalize on salted minnows since they’re cheaper, and I often have better luck with them anyway.

I’ve heard that Charly’s in Rockland used to do this, not sure if he does anymore and when I reached out to him he didn’t respond.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

P.S. If anyone has a bag of dead frozen shiners sitting in their freezer like I used to, don’t waste them! Salt them! Or sell them to me if you have a few dozen lol
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Buying dead shiners

Post by Wally »

Hi John, i bought 3 dozen of live shiners for 20.00 buck @ Charlie's Bait in Rockland this weekend, the more you buy the better the deal...Good Luck
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

Thanks for the tip! I will see if I can get out there soon.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I salt all my dead minnows, they work great.... based on your post just a couple things to keep in mind...

1. a person cannot legally sell minnows dead or alive unless they have a licence to sell bait.
2. dead, salted and live baitfish... whether caught yourself or purchased all count as part of the Ontario baitfish possession limit of 120. So don't stock up on too many dead ones.

Tight lines,
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

So can you buy live minnows from zone 18 and salt them, put them in the fridge and the following week go fishing in Zone 15.I'm a little confuse with the regulations here. Can anybody clarify that for me.....Thanks...Wally.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Charly's is hands down my favourite place for bait. When time permits I'll go out of my way to buy bait from him in Rockland, otherwise I'll take the backroads when heading out west and grab bait in Manotick.

From page 19 of the 2024 Fishing Regulations:
Anglers using or possessing baitfish or leeches for fishing in a BMZ where their primary residence is not located (see page 11), must obtain them from the holder of a commercial licence and be able to immediately produce a legible receipt upon request by a conservation officer. Baitfish or leeches, whether live or dead, can only be possessed or used within two weeks following the date on which they were obtained. The receipt must list the location and date it was obtained from the commercial licence holder, the business name (if applicable), commercial licence number, and quantity of baitfish or leeches obtained.

Receipts are not required when an angler is using baitfish or leeches:
• In the BMZ where their primary residence is located
• In the Great Lakes or Ottawa River, or
that are preserved

Receipts are not needed for other forms of bait (e.g. worms).
I'm not 100% sure, but based on the above, I would assume you are allowed to buy bait in Zone 18 (or your zone of primary residence), preserve the bait (salt, alcohol, etc. and freeze), and then use that bait in another BMZ without needing to provide a receipt for proof of where the bait was purchased.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Yes as of January 1st, 2024 you can transport perserved bait between BMZs, but note based on the law FROZEN does not count as preserved....

"Beginning January 1, 2024, changes to rules related to the possession, use and transport of bait (baitfish or leeches) include allowing:

A person to transport bait through an adjacent Bait Management Zone (BMZ), only if they use a direct route through the adjacent BMZ to reach a destination in a BMZ where they lawfully obtained bait.
Preserved bait to be transported into and out of a BMZ, as long as the bait is:

- dead

- has been preserved (treated or prepared in a manner to prevent decay or decomposition) using a method of preservation other than refrigeration or freezing

Preserved bait for fishing to be possessed and used in Bait Management Zones. It can also be used in the Great Lakes or the Ottawa River. Receipts are not required for preserved bait
Other changes will allow commercial bait operators to:

preserve their bait with salt and other preservative agents
buy and sell bait that has been preserved with salt and other preservative agents"
Jim Wilson
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

So if I read that last part correctly, does that mean that bait sellers will now be able to sell salted minnows as well?
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

John Zach wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:38 am So if I read that last part correctly, does that mean that bait sellers will now be able to sell salted minnows as well?
Yes I believe bait sellers will be able to sell salted minnows, but customers are only allowed they 120 baitfish limit. Back in the day I believe the amount of salted minnows you could possess was so many pounds, not individual fish. That was when guys would heavily chum their huts with salties every day on lakes with whitefish and ling.
Jim Wilson