Ice Fishing for Stocked Trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice Fishing for Stocked Trout

Post by Fisherman89 »

With walleye season coming to an end (zone 18), it's time to get out for stocked trout before the ice is gone. I had some comp time saved up, and with the long range forecast looking awful, I decided to take yesterday off to go fishing with my "fishing partner" (aka my dog).
fishing_partner.jpg
fishing_partner.jpg (166.28 KiB) Viewed 266 times

Still a solid 10" of ice on this lake, but it was starting to get wet near the shoreline.

I fished from noon to 5:30PM and caught seven splake. A few years ago, the splake I was catching in this lake were in the 16" to 18" range, yesterday I caught two 14" and five ~12", so it will be another year or two before they're back to that size (if they don't get fished out).

I was fishing in depths between 5 and 7 ft, and tried a few different presentations: jigging spoons, rattlebaits, and 1/16 oz jig heads with a salted shiner.

Four of the fish were caught on a Frostbite 1.8" Tantrum rattlebait in the "Shot Caller" colour. The other three were caught on a jig head with a minnow: two actively jigging, and the other on a jawjacker. I also missed quite a few bites throughout the day.
tantrum_rattlebait.jpg
tantrum_rattlebait.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 266 times

I kept one 14" splake for lunch today, and released all the others. Here are few of the fish:
splake_0.jpg
splake_0.jpg (99.99 KiB) Viewed 266 times
splake_1.jpg
splake_1.jpg (203.78 KiB) Viewed 266 times
splake_2.jpg
splake_2.jpg (140.73 KiB) Viewed 266 times

And here's lunch!
lunch.jpg
lunch.jpg (175.41 KiB) Viewed 266 times

Interested to hear if anyone else had luck with stocked trout this year. I'm hoping to get out at least once more this season, either for trout or for crappie, but we'll see if mother nature is cooperative...

Also, watch out for deer, I saw quite a few yesterday! https://youtu.be/7sf6mg0Y7v0

Cheers!