Cuba Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

I've been to Cuba but never gone fishing (I'm an idiot for passing that up I guess). I've told myself though that if I do go back I'm heading out for lmb.
Here's a link I found on the 'net but I know nothing about these guys or if the trip is worth the $$$.

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/cuba/b2 ... Adventures

bucket
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

Hey Carlco,
There is some real good fishing in Cuba. I myself went to Dominican Republic last year which is not too far from Cuba, and did some deep sea fishing for white marlin. The price was great, $75 US for 5 hours of fishing and everything supplied even the beer! I only caught one but it was worth it.

JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Nice fish D V

Post by JP »

Great fish DV, Wow and the beer for $75. :oops: see sick :lol:
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

DV 8, nice marlin! You have any more pics of it? Action shots? Pink Lady and I are are gonna try for a Marlin in the new year.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

DV 8... That's a nice Marlin for 75$! I haven't been able to find that on the net but figure once I get down there who knows. Maybe I can convince a local to bring me out for that price but the charters are real expensive.

We went through the last minute deal and we got a 4.5* hotel on the beach for 450$ a person. I haven't seen that in a while then again we're only in November so the rates are usually a little cheaper.

For those travelling book online! That's what I did and I got my deal at 50% what the travel agency charges. For that same last minute deal through a travel agent you're looking at an extra 250$ per person.

Went out last night and got one of those folding / retractable rods for 20$ so figure I'll get some reef fishing done and will rent a motorbike down there to tour anyhow so if I see a spot I'm stoping.

The rod will be a gift for some kid down there when I leave. It's awesome to see their reaction when you show up at the orphenage to bring them a few bags of clothes, toothbrushes and little trinkets that we take for granted. I did that the first time I went down and I can still see their smiles.

Banana's bait of choice for reef fishing! I figure when I dive that's what I use to attrack them so can't be much different for catching them.

Thanks all for the info.

Carlco
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

Hi guys,

Sorry Markus I don't have any action pics or movies. We were too excited and forgot to take pics on the boat and I forgot to bring the video camera on the boat. Most pics are at the beach when we returned.

Carlco,

Usualy there are some booths on the beach where you can book these trips a couple of days in advance. Don't forget that down there you can barter for everything. We usually ask what the price is and we offer half of that or less. You'll be surprised at what you can get stuff for. Good Luck and have a nice trip.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Cuba Fishing

Post by Paya »

Carlco wrote:Hey everyone,

The wife decided we were off to Cuba the second week of November.

Has anyone gone deep sea fishing off the coast of Varadero?

Any links and information would be greatly appreciated.

Carlco
Carlco,

Varadero is my wife's favourite spot so have to go there every year :(((
Although good side of the story is that I can make extra fishing trip there overtime we go. I don't know the name of place you are staying in but we always got either to Tryp peninsula or RIU and in either one you can find locals that will take you for fishing. Usually is fishing from katamaran.There is always something being caught but most of the time is baracuda's.They do not charge much 50-100 $ but this is negotiable ..If you need more informations who to talk to and what to take with you PM and I'll give you more info

cheers,

/p