Enough is Enough!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Enough is Enough!

Post by Gordo »

Too often over the last little while there has been some huge debate over mounting fish, or eating fish or mishandling, or whatever.

Okay I have to break my silence now. What makes a Musky that much better than any other fish? I fish for them every year and enjoy each trip. When I'm lucky enough to catch one I take his (or her) picture and send them on their way.

Almost a month ago I caught a very nice Walleye out of the Ottawa River. It was the biggest I've ever caught. I debated a long time before I decided to keep it and have it mounted (the first time I've ever done that) and not one person said anything about that. That fish was an older fish for sure. It was also a very big fish for that area. I got several messages saying comments like "Beauty Fish", "that will be a nice wall hanger", "What a beauty mount that will be". I did not receive one negative message about me keeping it or mounting it. So why is it when Musky is talked about being mounted or kept there is such uproar?

I'm glad people are passionate about fishing, but the MNR has passed down their rules for all fish (the amount and size you can keep). I've read several posts from people critizing other Hawk Talkers for keeping fish, or eating them. They have broken no laws, and what they do with their catch should be up to them, and more importantly they shouldn't be made to feel like Sh*t if they want to keep a fish.

This type of sh*t needs to stop. I (as I'm sure all of you) enjoy coming on here to share our stories, pictures, tips and comments. The more I see guys posting pictures or comments and getting flamed about it makes me want to stop posting.

No one on this site should be made to feel like sh*t for a personal and legal decision. Sorry for the rant but I needed to get this off my chest.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

You tell 'em Gordo!!!!

NUKE THE WHALES!!!

MT
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Actually Gord, I couldn't have said it better myself :!:

Post by Guest »

Gordo,

Thanks for posting this. There certainly has been an air on this board over the past few months that many of the regulars on this board are not fond of. I am certainly a big part of that problem, and accordingly, I will not be contributing to this board anymore for that reason. I've met some fantastic people on this board, and learned a lot from you, and for that I thank you. I hope I was able to provide some meaningful contributions to this board in my short time here.

Before I leave however, I will respond to your post accordingly. Gotta go out with a bang right? :)
What makes a Musky that much better than any other fish?
Their not better, they are just WAY more pressured and susceptible to environmental factors than most other fresh water species. Muskie are a fish of 10,000 casts for a reason. They aren't in abundance like bass, walleye, cats, carp, etc. Their biology doesn't allow them to populate our waters like other fish. Couple that with angling pressure, and the fact that they are far more suseptible to death after being caught than any other fresh water species, and I think you'll understand where we are coming from. People don't catch a lot of muskie for a reason, and it is this reason that drives us to protect them where we can. And when you do catch one, it is important to handle them properly to ensure that the small population that does exist, remains. There is no experience like catching a big muskie, which many members on this board will attest to. However, if we don't ALL do our part to protect them, it is possible that my children won't be able to enjoy that experience like I have.
the MNR has passed down their rules for all fish
When was the last time the MNR did an efficient population survey on the Ottawa River, Rideau, Madawaska, etc?? It just doesn't happen. So what are they basing their limits on? Do you honestly believe that they have a true sense of the population in the Ottawa Valley for example. I certainly don't. :)

Just because the law says it is okay to do something does not mean that it is right. You have to use common sense judgement in making any decision. There are large muskie conservation organizations in Canada and the US that work to protect this species. That fact alone should indicate to you that this species is endangered. How many bass conservation organizations are there? :)
No one on this site should be made to feel like sh*t for a personal and legal decision
I chose to voice my concerns that there are irresponsible anglers on this board that are harming the muskie fishery. It was a personal choice and a legal one at that. It's okay for you now to make me feel like s**t by making me feel that I'm not welcome to post on this board? Come on....

It's a two way street here, and unfortunately, most people on this board don't want to deal with the darker side of fishing. People question the integrity of other anglers for a reason, because they care about the fishery. Why should we feel condemned for our beliefs.

I'm sorry I disrupted the "Happy Family" at Fish-Hawk, but someone had to do it. :)

No need to respond. Happy fishing all..........

HW
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

HW I agree, I myself would love to go out for muskie, being I'm so close to the pond and to the big O, BUT, I do not have the proper gear to land such a massive fish, therefore I'm not going to risk lures snapping off in the fishes mouth, In my mind you should not fish for them unless you have the gear to land and release them unharmed, if not hey thats what charters are for :wink: , anyhow thats just my 2 cents.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Well said Gord, but Hawg Wobbler has some good points as well.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Hawg Wabbler...as much as this may kill you, I think you and I are a lot a like, we just have different passions.

The harshest terms for each of us is "meat hunter" and "muski snob". Look at any way you want that is us. However we each share a nicer more similar term too - fishermen.

Having a passion about something means you need to take your lumps from people who pass judgement out of ignorance, lack of education, immaturity and the ones that just disagee because they see things differently.

We have to accept the fact that these folks exist and people are allowed to disagree. But there are many that agree and share with your passion. I don't think it's fair that you label everyone on this board as being against you. There's no personal attack being aimed at you. Not continuing to post seems confusing to me. Where will this behavior stop? Will you stop going to tackle shops if you see a customer buy the gear for a live bait rig? Will you stop fishing the Ottawa River if you see a fishermen possing for a picture with the muski grasped in vertical hold?

You C&R education and insight is a valuable contribution on the board. Where ever your travels take you, enjoy your passion and keep up the great work with making the world a better place for muskies.
teppy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by teppy »

All I have to say is when I get my walleye over 14 I`ll mount it,when I get a muskie in the 30`s I`ll mount it, a largemouth over 7 well you know the answer. Call me a trophy hunter or Big fish killer ar an a-hole. We all know in our hearts what we do for fishing and conservation and thats what matters. As long as we don`t keep everything we catch!!!
teppy
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

HW

No one wants you to leave the board....but people are getting tired of being Flamed every time they post a pic...or ask a question I applaud your passion for these great fish....and we are better for your responces, and I have no problem being remined once and awhile how to properly handle a muskie...., but not every time , you seem to be a wealth of information on the muskie...do you ever fish other types??? , Do you have any thing to offer that is not negative, I know it's hard with a passion as strong as yours for muskie...but lets focus for a while on the possitive and not always the negative....HW....I going to PM you My Phone # call me if you get a chance

Thanks
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Gordo you have good points

HW- If it were not for your info on Muskie I'd still be holding them verticle and using a scale on'm

I hope you continue to post HW, it is your right..we are in Canada everyone.

BASSSTALKER

your missing the point

Post by Guest »

nobody is going to care that you have a bucket of perch or a stinger full of walleye, why? because they are extremely plentiful and in some bodies of water there are just to many killing off the other speices in the area, you only need to look at the upper Ottawa river and the catfish population there, how much time and money has the MNR put into encuraging people to catch and keep catfish in the area. How many of us have seen Bob izumi on the ottawa with the mnr when they showed a 5lb cat with a 2lb walleye in it's mouth, to many cats.
Now if there was a lake or river with so many musky in it that you could catch them like you see cats caught on the upper Ottawa, would anybody care......NO.....Musky steaks on the BBQ.
When a fisherperson that knows what they are doing, has all the gear and knows all the techniques goes out and spends say 15 days hunting musky and he catches say 20 fish, I'd say those fish are pretty rare. that's why people get a little twisted when you hear of a musky being kept for the dinner table, because they are rare.
What makes a condor so special, it's like any other bird.
You want bird for dinner shoot pigeons, there's lots of them.
You want fish for dinner keep perch, crappie, walleye, catfish or even bass, there's lots of them.
But if you want to eat a fish that's at the top of the food chain, getting the highest dose of polutants and took 40 years to get to the size they are then that's your right to do that but a bucket full of perch is easier to get and dosen't taste like the soul of my boot.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

Here we go again ... this happens on every board. I have never tried to make anyone feel guilty about keeping a fish, although I came close on the "Rideau Monster".

Here's my take:

Why does anyone need to mount a fish? Is it just to show the world what a great angler you are? More often than not, your biggest fish will be a fluke because very few people fish for trophies! What's wrong with just keeping a picture ... you can still use it to brag to your buddies.

Taking out the largest fish is a recipe for disaster. Look at how many people are fishing these days and the improved equipment they use. Even if only a small percentage of us take home the largest fish we ever catch, it won't be long before the "big ones" start to disappear.

I have no objection to people taking home a few walleye, trout or other fish to eat, just don't be removing the largest fish from the system just for bragging rights.

HW - you have proven to be an exellent source for muskie info and I'm sure that many Hawk-Talkers have learnt a lot from you. If you feel you have to leave the board, that's up to you, I'll still find your posts on some other boards. However, if you go, you will be missing the chance to continue educating new anglers in proper muskie handing and the importance of letting them go.

Just wanted you to know that there are many of us out here who fully support your views,
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Trevor as for walleye, well there's a reason for walleye stocking programs and slot sizes! :wink:
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Lunge Hunter I agree with you on taking the large fish is recipe for disaster, but, only on large bodies of water. I think a large pike in a small body of water is the recipe for disaster, but again I'm not a biologist so who knows if I'm correct. :)
ChrisS
Participant
Participant

Post by ChrisS »

Hi, there are always extreme views on either side of any coin. Gordo, I hope someday you change your mind and release your 30lber, but if not, hey it's your right. HW, don't give up on the fishawk board. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone promoting proper fish handling techniques on a message board and your comments are appreciated by most. I think people mostly get upset because things always tend to get blown out of proportion. It's not always done intentionally. Most people are just repeating what they hear. Unfortunately, a lot of what new anglers to the sport are hearing is a lot of balony. Below are some of your comments, I'm not sure where you have got your info from:
...and the fact that they are far more suseptible to death after being caught than any other fresh water species.
Just wondering where you got this info from?
When was the last time the MNR did an efficient population survey on the Ottawa River, Rideau, Madawaska, etc?? It just doesn't happen.
It actually just happened on the Ottawa River.....the same day of the MCI outing on Oct 16th.
That fact alone should indicate to you that this species is endangered.
The muskellunge is NOT an endangered species.

When people see mis-information, whether intentional or not, it tends to make them cynical at best and confrontational at worst. And newcomers to the sport start to believe and propogate this, only adding to the problem. Not trying to attack you, but want to point out that people get tired of hearing the same mis-information.

Hope everyone catches a few more muskies before the ice comes.
Cheers,
Chris