Motor Warrantee's

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Motor Warrantee's

Post by Markus »

Has anyone had problems with third party warrantees?

Apparantly my Johnson warrantee has expired on my 2000 Johnson. One dealer is telling me he can give me an extended warrentee through Corner Stone. Another Dealer is saying it's not worth my cash and they are known for denieing legit claims. This dealer said he won't even do the work for people with these claims because he and his customers are left holding the tab.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with these types of warrantee's?
JIGNPIG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JIGNPIG »

Marcus,

I will try and slip down and talk to the local Johnson dealer here in town to see what information I can get out of him!!!!!

Later
Bryan
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Years ago I worked for a company that was a cornerstone dealer ( In the Heating and Air conditioning business). There was money to be made with the selling of the contracts however when ever there was a warrantee repair it was quite hard to accomplish the task at hand with what they would allow in time and markup, I don’t remember the full extent of the problems but I do know it didn’t last long and we stopped selling contracts.

P.S. Back then only Cornerstone dealers could do warrantee repairs, may be different now but it’s worth asking the question.
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

I haven't had any personal experience with them but my friend has owned his own garage for about a year. He has had a few problems with these third party warranties.
A lot of it has to do with the fine print. They look good & sure they say they cover everything on the front page but read on and you'll find it's only covered if you break down after 6:00pm on regional road 25 between cainsville & caladonia. :shock: (an exageration) but you get my drift.
Some are legit I guess but I would read it all or...get a lawyer buddy to go through it before signing on the bottom line. :wink: :) :cry:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Why bother getting an extended warranty? They usually end up costing more than the repairs over the years.
Beside, your baby is not baby. 4 years on that thing. All the warranty in the world can't save her now. :D

M.T. Livewell
JIGNPIG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JIGNPIG »

Marcus

I was able to talk to the local dealer the other day He basically told me that they can only be bought at the time of original purchase of the motor unless you have found someone that will sell you one now anyways if you do get one make sure you go through the fine print to find out exactly what it covered. He also told me that 7 year warranty on the new Evinrude Motors the last four years are with a third party. He also said that he has been left holding the bag after trying to claim on one of theses Third Party warranties and a lot of companies mysteriously go out of business

Hope this helps but you probably knew most of it anyways,
Good Luck
Bryan
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Markus

Stay away from third party warranties.....you have to trust me on this....they will sell you one..but when it's time to pay out, you get nothing but grief....if you can get Manufactures extended warranty , go for it, other than that PLEASE STAY AWAY.......(i used to sell them at a car dealer)bad news :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Uh Oh

Post by Legend »

:) Markus, third party warranties are all different and usually favour the warrantor. Your motor on the other hand may have a certain citric quality.

Apparently, there were so many warranty type claims made against a certain outboard motor company that it went belly up a few years ago.

The claims were the result of a really poor engine design flaw. The company may have re-emerged under a different banner... If I were you, I'd be thinking about sinking my hard earned cash into something else, rather than on repairs to what you have... Just a thought.

:) Legend
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

The only OMC engines that were not up to snuff were the Fichts. All others were (are) as good as any other manufacturers'. I don't think Mark's is an older Ficht, but I could be wrong...

The new generation Ficht produced by Bombardier is acknowledged as a super-performing engine.

CCB
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

CCB, you took the words right out of mouth. It's a bad rep that Johnson has had a tough time shaking.

Doesn't sound like anyone has any positive 3rd party warentee stories. :lol: :lol:

I'm just gonna try and find a good mechanic I can bribe with pansies. :lol:

Thanks for everyones input.