fishing poll

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Most used fishing method

trolling
24%
drifting - cast/jigging
26%
anchored - cast/jigging
10%
bushwhacking - (electric trolling motor)
24%
wading/shore fishing
16%

Total votes: 58

skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

fishing poll

Post by skooter »

Vote above for what method of fishing you use the most, and comment why it works best for you. 8)
Here's some questions that I thought we could kick around a bit. :roll:

1)Is your choice determined by:
- where you fish most often?
- what you're fishing for?
- bait, live/lures?
- time of day/year

2)Do you still use it under different conditions?
Say...fishing a river with a wide variation in depth,... trolling may not work so well... Anchoring, of course limits the water you can cover. Drifting is good but you are at the mercy of the wind and or current.

3)How would you first tackle a new lake/river?

Just hopin to get a little friendly debate going on the pro's & con's of different fishing methods and see which one is the most popular by the numbers. :wink:
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I picked from shore. I have a boat, but by the time I get off work at 19:00 it is to late. so I grab some dinner and head out to one of my holes and depending on the weather conditions determines what I use. Once the sun has 20 min or so left of light, out comes the spook! :twisted: then i throw her for the rest of the time. most times I catch something on her. actually I have caught alot on her at night.

Casting is a close second for me. I only have her out on weekends and holidays. I prefer being in the boat thought

BASSSTALKER
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Hey skooter,

Good question! I picked drifting and casting as the most for me, but I guess it all depends on what type of fishing you're doing and where you are doing it. For me, largemouth fishing is mostly done bushwacking as you say, otherwise I'm usually drifing, casting, or jigging. if you fish bodies of water with lots of smallmouth, then I would tend to stay in the deeper water. I very seldomly anchor unless I'm catfishing in the current or something.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

That be a tuffy for me :roll: All around kind a guy I is :D Though if I had 1 choice, I would have to say #1 floatin :D Second topwater, and bushwackin :D :D :D

Great ? Skooter.

T.L F.F
Fishing Freak
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishing Freak »

Drift fishing for me, If the wind gets to bad the i'll move to the protected bays. I don't like the anchor idea, because it might get in the way while fighting fish. I do troll but very little.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I just do what the conditions and species call for. But being on the big ponds out deep most of the time, I usually troll.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Flippin tubes..with the drift..
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

Definitely on my electric motor most often. It just allows me to cover water, or if I'm working a certain area I can fish it from different angles. I always use it on new bodies of water just because it lets me cover water and see which areas will produce. If I am fishing a bland piece of structure like a weed edge or featureless shoreline, and the wind is perfect, then I will let the wind drift me along it because it saves battery power so why not. I anchor only if it is really windy and I don't want to be too hard on my batteries or if fish are schooled tight in a specific spot.

Trolling is out of the question in my boat.. I run a bass boat, no downriggers and the motor won't run slow enough to troll efficiently - not to mention fuel costs!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Have to admit, I'm a troller at heart!

Troll for Walleye, Trout and whatever else decides to attack my line!

But I do occassionally like do stop over a honey hole and give it a good jiggin'.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Trolling is my favourite. Why because I fish for fun and trolling allows you to do just that! I'm sure King me would disagree, he really works at it, but for me it is relaxing, if I'm not relaxed why am I fishing?
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Trolling :!: :!: :!:

I love to troll...wether it be for the big salmon or Muskie , walleyes, pike....heck I troll for Bass :D
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I love trolling.

The river I fish most is peaceful and has a lot of wildlife and scenery to take in. Plus casting and controlling position takes up too much time, unless of course I find a good spot to anchor at.

I troll mostly with spinner baits, what do you troll with?
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

Give me an anchor, jigs and some live bait and I'm set to have some tugs. I have caught soooo many different species and numbers of fish jigging that it is my go to method. I really enjoy stopping and really exploring what's right under and around me.

JasonM
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

Mr.J.'s answer sums it up for me, especially on the Grand river. :D :wink:
I really thought trolling would win hand's down....but it looks like alot of people out there have electrics to play with.

I'm thinkin, if I made anchors for a living, Id look for another line of work. :roll:

But...wouldn't it be nice to just sit under a big old overhanging tree on a hot summer afternoon, twich some poppers on some lilly pads and sip on a beverage of your choice? :)

key words here, "hot", "summer".... Damn it!!!! Hurry up. :x
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Can't ever go wrong with Trolling!

Carlco