Ice fishing rod holder, windlass, tipdown, etc.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ice fishing rod holder, windlass, tipdown, etc.

Post by bucketmouth »

I was bored tonight so I thought I'd build a 3 in 1 contraption that I found online. Can't take credit for the idea, I built it pretty much as I saw it.

Can be used to suspend the rod, as a rod holder, add the wire for a tip down, or add the flag and it's a windlass. Took about 3 feet of tubing, 2 elbows, 3 T's, one coat hanger, some plastic as a flag, and about 45 minutes of my time.

I think it looks kinda neat and thought I'd share.

bucket

Just needs a cup holder for my double double and a hook for my baseball cap....
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I like it! Might be makin' a trip to Home Depot this weekend!! :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome Bro just awsome!!!!!!!

You bringin that Sat right :lol:

F.F
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I like it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Bucketmouth, very VERY nice!.
Be sure to give us your reviews once it sees action.
(love the flag).

M.T. Livewell
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Sorry folk's , I know this is an older thread but I saw this and thought it was a really good idea , so I made 2 of them. Now i found only one little flaw in it , so here goes: The problem is with the coat hanger, and I wish that I would have thought of it before making it. You see in the picture the line has not been threaded through the eyes of the rod yet. so therefore once you have everything set up and go to put your rod in this half loop in the coat hanger, your line will get pinched in there. I hope that I explained it properly, and if anyone can come up with a solution to this tiny flaw, I would like to here it ...thanks...

Be safe on the hard water
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Actually the coat hanger part is flawed in more ways than one. I made the bend in the hanger for the diameter of the cork handle on my favourite jigging rod - bad idea. The replacement rod that I was actually going to use with this windlass doesn't stay in securely at all so I never use the thing. Also, I'm usually targeting pike with my tipups and I don't trust the design enough yet to securely hold my rod and not pop apart and launch directly down the hole.

When I have more time to screw with it I'll try and figure it out. And I'll ask the guy who originally designed it if he has any suggestions.

bucket
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

HOF how about using zip ties to hold the coat hanger with an omega type bend in the wire

bucket how about small bungies
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Thanks for more info. on the coat hanger , I'm going to see if I can come up with anything this week. Maybe some how suspend it and some sort of stopper so that the rod can't tip so far that it slides right into the hole. this would not only mean that you lost a rod and reel, but a pretty good fish...thanks again... If you come up with anything , could you please post it...
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

interesting idea rideau, I'll go give it a shot...
dr_feelgood
Participant
Participant

Post by dr_feelgood »

I made this a few years backand found that the spring that holds the rod to the clothes hanger is the easiest for quick changeovers
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

The good doctor feelgood has given me a good precription. Am I safe in asuming that the coat hanger stays attached while you bring in the fish.

ps; this is another great idea... and you gotta like the a.k.a.... thanks
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Thanks Rideaufish: Your omega bend works perfect, I used a heavier gauge wire so there is no need for any zip ties wich will make it easier to change holders depending on wind conditions... then again if it's to windy , I'm not going fishing... :) ...thanks again
dr_feelgood
Participant
Participant

Post by dr_feelgood »

The coat hanger stays attached, but with the spring, you are able to balance your rod depending on the weight you are using.
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

Not bad for a guy who doesnt ice fish and has never seen a contraption like that before.