Pontiac Sunfire and towing a boat?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Pontiac Sunfire and towing a boat?

Post by Buzzer »

Hi All:

I want to buy a boat this spring and am wondering if anyone knows the maximum towing weight for a Pontiac Sunfire?

I've read on the net 1000 lbs. to "not recommended". Any ideas?

Can I get away with pulling a 14ft. boat and a small engine? If so any types of boats you'd recommend? (my specs are as follows).

1. Will be used strickly for fishing
2. Will be fishing long days so comfortable would be nice (padded chairs?)
3. Don't need a livewell but it would be nice
4. I'm not mechanically inclined
5. Intend to have at the most 3 to 4 people on board
6. Would like to be able to fish some modestly choppy water (not lake Ontario or the Ottawa River on a real windy day near Arnprior)
7. Will be driving long distances.
8. Want to have an electric trolling motor and battery on board.

Am I dreaming about pulling a boat that will meet these requirements with a Sunfire?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sincerely, Buzzer

Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

RJ towes with his....I am sure when he is on he'll let you know!
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Towing

Post by Legend »

:) Hi Buzzer, yes it can be done.

I tow my 14 ft. Legend with a 15 hp 4st Mercury with a 1999 Saturn SL1. :lol:

Be sure to run super gas when you tow, that little extra go-go juice helps get you up hills.

:) Legend
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

A 12 or 14ft alluminum boat without a floor is best.

We have a '97 Sunfire and never pull our 17ft alluminum with a 50HP (weighs about 1000lbs with boat, motor and trailor). It is possible, but its really not a good idea pulling it, especially long distance.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I have a 14ft with 18hrs casting deck(homemade) and tow it with my buddies cavalier all the time....not one problem pulling it yet! Also use my girl friends acura granted it is a little bigger than the cav but also no problems. Just pick your launch carefuly.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I pull my 15 footer around with my Sunfire....I don't think its great for it....but I'm ok with it... :lol:

My only real problem with it is how low the car sits....I have to almost find a hole to wheel the front trailer wheel into to get it low enough to get the hitch on the ball...that sucks sometimes..... :x

RJ
Buck
Participant
Participant

Post by Buck »

I'm sure it can be done, but for sure, you'll have to limit the wait you put on that car! Some landing areas are not the most user friendly and are very steep, so watch out for the bottom of your car. Good luck with it!

Buck
Marrybutt5
Participant
Participant

Re: Pontiac Sunfire and towing a boat?

Post by Marrybutt5 »

Buddy Remember – optional towing packages usually include beefier brakes, so verify what your car can actually handle before you hook it up to a trailer. It’s always a good idea to build in a little buffer for safety. If your vehicle is rated for 2,000 pounds, you might want to limit it to something less, like 1,500 pounds. When ever i have tow boat from my state new hampshire i opt for boat towing company.
Splake_Hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Splake_Hunter »

It definitely can be done. I pulled my 14' with a 20hp around for years with a Sentra. Eventually the transmission exploded, but I didn't treat her with that much respect over the years, so I wouldn't blame it all on towing a boat haha.

Just an FYI, RJ and orrsey make some great points... The Sentra sat so low, it was a pain to hook onto at times and I backed in a little hot the one time and put the trailer tongue through the bumper cover. And the launches, oh man, pick em careful. I'm from the Kingston area, if you know Loughborough, there is a small public launch in the east basin, fairly steep and all gravel. Launched no problem, but pulling it out, wow, wish I had the video for that haha. I must have sent gravel half way across the lake.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

As a former owner of a Sunfire……I’m so proud!!!