Mississippi Lake today

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Mississippi Lake today

Post by Gord »

Went out around noon. Met JP, Bradford, TLsea and Phitty. Nice meeting you folks. The bite was slow if not nonexistent. And the wind :evil: Curse that Wind!!! :x :x That is what finally drove Slushpuppy and I away. Really wanted to stay for the bite at dusk(if there was one) When did you finally pack it in Bradford? You were really on the move! Hope you located some fish! Still might try Pinhey's tomorrow or else Shirley's. Hope there is no WIND!!!!!!!!!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Bowzog,
I hear feel your disappointment! I was out with a friend on the Miss last Sunday, out of Grasshopper Point (9A). We fished from 1:30pm until 6pm, covering water from 6 feet to 14 feet, and everything in between. We punched 20 to 30 holes for the day, and covered all sorts of areas. Total Fish - 0. Total Bites - 0. What a dismal day. Talking to a couple of folks coming off the ice, their luck was the same as ours..
I had a really tough season on the Miss last year too. Almost impossible to locate any schools of jumbo perch, even though the previous year you couldn't keep them off your hook...
Oh well - that's the name of the game in fishing, i 'spose...
Justin Hoffman
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Same results with me today on Mississippi........zip, zero, zilch, nada not even a sniff :twisted: . We fished 9a from first light untill 10:30. We walked and fished all the way out to Greig Is only to find the ice conditions there to be extremely dangerous and turned right around to get back onto safer ice :shock: At this point i was a little shaken and decided it was time to head to Clayton Lake for the remainder of the day.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Note to self.............do not go to Mississipi Lake.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

how much ice at grasshopper, was going to try today but your right tooooo much wind with no shelter :?:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Bear, there is plenty of safe ice out from the bird sanctuary......14" to 20" and a few vehicles as well. Stay away from either end of the island though there is a wicked current there :!: :!:
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Nice to get together on the ice with Brad, Phitty, Bozog, Slushy and TLsea. Sorry Phitty for dragging u all the way out there and no bites. Anyway, it was cold and it was windy and it was slippery :cry: and I'm a cry baby :lol: . As Bozog said, no bites and lots of good ice, 15-20" of it. The only real interesting things that happened was when Brad's shelter blew over with him in it, Phitty slidding on the ice to keep warm and me lossing my rod down the hole. Now I know what u r thinking, but he said he didn't have a bite so How did he loose his rod down the hole. Well u are right, not a bite. I set the rod down on my chair out and away from the water and went to check on TLSea. As I turned I see the wind blow my chair over and dump my combo down the hole. I threw the chair out of the way just in time t o see my rod vanish into the deep. I was stupid enough to try to grab it as it sank, elbow deep in water till the cold hit my skin through the survivor suit. :oops: . Cold :!: :!: :!: , thank god for extra gloves. Anyway, didn't try even to snag it, to many weeds and I'm lazy. We packed up about half an hour after that.
I'll be out at the marina in Aylmer tomorrow to try my luck, hopefully finish the day with all my rods :wink: .
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

JP, did you do one of your now famous Powerslides on your knees to try and save your rod? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bucket
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

JP wrote: The only real interesting things that happened was when Brad's shelter blew over with him in it, Phitty slidding on the ice to keep warm and me lossing my rod down the hole. JP
You've joined an exclusive club now...Float, JP and Markus..did I miss anyone :?: :wink: :lol: 3 perfectly good outfits...down the drink :!:
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

No Bucket, wasn't enough room to get a slide going, but don't worry, I am saving it for the future. I figure my knees will only take 1 maybe 2 more slides like the last one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . But thanks for reminding me about that day :wink: :lol: .
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Kidder
Participant
Participant

Post by Kidder »

That's weird guys! I haven't had a day yet this year that we haven't pulled at least 2 walleye through the ice on the good ole Miss. For those of you thaare willin to try it again wait about a week or two then try grasshopper point again. That's about the time that I'll be moving back up to that end of the lake!!
By the way the locals are lying to you if they say they haven't been catching fish. Go into Baitcasters and talk to Mike, you get the truth from him.

Kidder
phitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by phitty »

Hey JP - thanks for taking me out. Bites or no bites its always nice to be outside, nice to meet a few more Hawk-Talk folks.

I was up and down the Ottawa from my place near Deschenes to the marina and NOBODY seemd to have had any luck by about 2:00 in the afternoon. Hopefully you days is better than the rest.

P.
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Mississippi Ice Fishing Report

Post by baitcaster »

Mike and I didn't get a chance to do much ice fishing this weekend but he caught 3 real nice walleye Tuesday morning about 8:00 a.m. The biggest was 5 1/2 lbs. That would have one money in our derby for sure!
He decided I should join him out there Wednesday morning and I sat there and jigged from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. and didn't get a bite.
Had guys in a shack yesterday and all they got was a pike. Mike has caught quite a few of those this year as well.
Neighbours got one big perch by our shack last weekend.
We've caught enough walleye through the ice so far this season to have 2 or 3 good feeds. Lots more to come I hope!