White Lake Splake..?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

White Lake Splake..?

Post by slop »

I picked up a pretty neat ...fishing/map book of Eastern ontario today and i was quite surprised to see there were stocking reports (Splake) for this lake :shock: The book claims there have been 17,100 fish introduced since 2000....Has any of you caught one of these put and take hybrids or have any info about Splake on White Lake :?:

Cracker....... :idea: :wink:
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

slop

http://users.vianet.ca/mnrpemb/fishsm.pdf

according to this stocking list I don't see any splake stocked in any white lake which white lake were they refering too
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Topwater.. the White Lake i'm referring to is the White Lake that is commonly discussed on this board...South of Arnprior .East of Ompah(don't laugh!) and way north of Perth. the book also has GPS waypoints for the lake :lol: :lol: Have i been had :lol: :lol: :lol:

splake

Post by Guest »

They are there. I haven't caught any but I have seen them on the underwater camera.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

They are there
..Wisdom..........
I haven't caught any but
....forgiveness :lol: :lol: :wink:

Thanks Trevor, I don't recall this topic being discussed
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Can honestly say, never heard of Splake in White Lake...Or are you yankin' our chain here :?: :roll: Image
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

WIG go figure.....i'm not trying to stir the pot but.... the book, along with alot of other maps and and info, states that there has been 5,700 Splake(every year) stocked from 2000 to 2002.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I have that book, it has alot of errors. It's written by 3 guys from B.C. (one originally from Sudbury). Reading their description for example of accessing the St Lawrence or finding Gananoque Lake it's fairly obvious they have never been to either place. There are some accounts in the book that are downright fictional.

Most of the info appears to be gathered from MNR sources and not first hand accounts. I know there is at least one other White Lake in Eastern Ontario stocked with splake. Perhaps they've confused the two.

According to the White Lake landowners website from biological surveys the lake is shallow and moderately eutrophic. In that case I doubt the lake is cold enough to support trout and even if it was given its eutrophic nature there would not be enough oxygen below the thermocline.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

Like topwater and big-o, I've been on that lake since the '50's. I believe they tried to stock splake once a long time ago but they didn't take.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

The information in the mapbook is wrong. There are three White Lake within 100 km from Ottawa. The first one is south of Arnprior - great bass and pike fishing, and NO splake. The second one is north of HW7, just opposite to Sharbot Lake. It is a year around fish sanctuary, don't even think about fishing there! The third one is a bit south of Bobs lake, about half way between Bedford and Glendover. That's the one with splake. The stocking list from Kingstone MNR indicates 5700 splake/year for years 2000-2003. The lake has an island in its SE end. Fishing around that island will give you some splake. Hope this resolves the question.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Well the 'Disclaimer' sure validates the inaccurate information found in the the pages of the book! :roll: Thanks for your input guys and clearing this up mosquito.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I own a copy of the same book. It say's there are Walleye in Constance Lake. The authors should do more thorough research before publishing a book like this! :roll: It is misleading to any angler who reads it. :?
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

there are two White Lakes in the area....one has Trout....the full name of this lake is PETER WHITELAKE, they have stocked as long I remember, the white lake south east of Arnpior...will not sustaine Trout, the deepest part of ther lake is about 30 feet , 95% of the lake is less than 8 feet plus the water because of the bottom of the lake(mostly slit)and depth , very warm water lake!!!! trout prefer Spring fed deep and cold water....every thing ...that white lake lacks
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

No Splake in White Lake. My family has been cottaging/camping/fishing at that lake since the 40's and no one has ever caught a trout.